Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 cover sent that works? >

cover sent that works?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

cover sent that works?

Old 10-29-2007, 02:19 PM

Default cover sent that works?

I am an avid bow hunter, have been for 10 years or more. I have tried every cover sent known to man. i've put my clothes in a wood chest with evergreen branches, sprayed and sprayed cover sents, sent eliminators. Everything That is available in my area. Still, if i am positioned up wind of deer. they always seem to know somthings up. hanging up just out of shooting range. I have developed my hunting style to avoid being in this situation. does anyone know of a known cover sent or sent eliminator that works? I hunt in central Kansas where the wind never stops.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:31 PM

Default RE: cover sent that works?

I use and feel confident that both Dead Downwind and Hunters Specialties scent eliminating spray work to reduce and eliminate scent. I have recently made my own, from a recipe on this sight and from spraying it in my old Ford F250, whos previous two owners were big smokers, it does work.
I also spray a little "deer dander" on my boots right before walking to stand and I believe from experience that it can peek the interest of deer as well.
Golden Esterous seems promising to me as well. I hung a swab off my climber on saturday morning during set-up and right as I sat to wait until shooting light, I had a buck walk right by my stand at about 8 yards and did not see to know I was around but interested. [&o] Too bad I did not have ligth too shoot as by the quick glances I was getting by moonlight, he was likely the big 8 pointer ruling the roost. [&o]
Old 10-29-2007, 03:02 PM
Typical Buck

Coon piss all over my boots - smells horrible but I have never had a problem with deer coming from the down wind direction.
scent zapper real dirt formula - This is what I spray down my clothes with..... after scent free detergent wash.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deer dander seems to do a good job for me. Spray some on the bottom of your boots along with the normal scent free precautions and it seems to really help.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some of you areconfusing cover scent,attractant scent and scent reduction- you can't cover your scent and hide it from a deer. They simply smell the cover and us. You can reduce your scent and you can use attractrants - both of which may make your scent a little less threatening.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

I stand by this product right here because it really works.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_54371_400008005_400000000_400008000_400-8-5
Old 10-29-2007, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is the way I look at cover-up scents...

A hound dog can follow a 2-3 day old trail. A deer's nose is probably as good if not better since its front end saves its rear end. Now... the human nose sucks rear end in comparison but do you think that with your eyes closed andusing just your nose, you can tell the difference between the pumpkin pie and the rump roast if the two were set side by side on the dinner table? Of course right?

My point is, cover-up only means there are now 2 scents. So instead of thinking "there's a guy over there", the deer's thinking "hold on, there's a guy over there with a (trained to kill) pet racoon that he intends to unleash on me. Hmmm... better turn around."
Old 10-29-2007, 05:39 PM

NASCARF 150...

I use Dead Down wind first to reduce my scent. Then I spray myself with a cover called " Essence of Fall " which works very well. As an attractant, Kirshner's is tops as is Code Blue gels like Tarsal and regular urine.
Coyote pee on my boots when I really try to cover.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:17 PM
Typical Buck

I don't think there is anyway you can ever get rid of all of your scent, no matter what you do. I just don't think it is possible. I believe you can mask your scent and reduce it, and this may help, but I just don't think you can completely eliminate it. The only way to hunt without getting winded, is to hunt downwind from the deer. If you do this, you don't have to worry about cover scents.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:54 PM
Fork Horn

Who really knows what works,but I have been using this for 3 years and I have seen more deer and have been busted less than ever before. You have to get the earth scent, it is very strong. Even my wife says after I take a shower "I can still smell that dirt smell on you!" I think it smells good.

Quick Reply: cover sent that works?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.