Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hard to close the deal w/ your head up your own butt.. >

Hard to close the deal w/ your head up your own butt..

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hard to close the deal w/ your head up your own butt..

Old 10-28-2007, 07:27 PM

Default Hard to close the deal w/ your head up your own butt..

Yeah, so.......I'm on stand this morning, and around 9 or so I stood up to stretch and take a peak behind me. So I'm leaning against the tree, watching the squirrels chase each other, and I peak around to my front...

There he is, and if wasn't P&Y, he was darn close.....an 8 point, 30 yards, walking through my shooting lane. In 2 more steps, he'll be in the brush w/ no shot.....He takes those 2 steps, and I whip out my grunt call. I hit it twice, softly and quick, hoping to mimik a contact grunt.......He stops cold, and trots off. No hesitation........I think, hm, that was odd.....And just like that, he was gone.

Man alive.....remember that break I've been talking about needing?? Yeah, this morning would have been a good time for it....

I saw a smallish (around 80") 8 point this evening, but the only broadside shot I had found him behind a small branch, and there's no way I wouldn't have hit it.......He gets a free pass. Hour later a yearling spike that would have EASILY made 10 pope and young inches steps out. Wasn't gonna shoot him anyway, and he meanders around and was even sniffing my rope I pull my bow up with......

Gosh darnit that was close....[:@]
Old 10-28-2007, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hard to close the deal w/ your head up your own butt..

close but no cigar
isnt that funny how you dont see any deer
and you stand up and turn the other way for a minute or two and then you get deer in front of oyu
it happens to me all the time
Old 10-28-2007, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldnt recommenda grunt when hes at 30 yards.. even if he stops, then you have a tense deer to shoot at... just asking for him to duck/jump the arrow.. try to take shots at relaxed deer if at all possible..
Old 10-28-2007, 07:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hang in there..LOL Pun intended, and it'll happen..your due and it's getting exciting.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:39 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-28-2007, 07:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have never understood how something so big can make so little noise, they can be down right sneaky. Ps: the buck paid the squirrels to run decoy while he slipped past you [8D]
Old 10-28-2007, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dude,

that sucks. that about sums up hunting right there. [8D]
Old 10-29-2007, 03:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had nearly the same thing happen to me several years ago 'cept instead of watching squirrels, I was reading the pocket New Testament I take with me. I looked up just in time to watch THE BUCK (BIG 10 POINT) we were after walk right through my slam-dunk lane at 10 yards broadside and unaware! By the time I was ready, I had no shot and he paid no attention to my grunts either. Bummer - I know how you feel.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:06 AM

Aw man!!! I just had a feeling you were gonna make it happen this weekend. I bet it was a great encounter, even though you didnt close the deal. Its gonna happen and soon. Did you see much sign and/or rutting activity, chasing or anything? Did your buddy have any luck? I am truly sorry you didnt get him, and I know how you feel, keep after em, and youll have him soon enough.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Dang Don, how was your heart rate? I almost want to scold you about paying attention to the task at hand. But then taking time to enjoy our surroundings IS the task at hand as far as I'm concerned. It is gonna happen! and SOON!

Quick Reply: Hard to close the deal w/ your head up your own butt..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.