Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 put one out of it's misery this morning >

put one out of it's misery this morning

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

put one out of it's misery this morning

Old 10-27-2007, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default put one out of it's misery this morning

This morningI had plans on hunting some new property I gained permission to. Wind wasn't perfect, so I decided to hunt my 30 behind the house. After daylight, I see a lone deer slowly, and I mean slowly making its way towards my stand. I could tell right away it was a fawn, but something else caught my attention. I was staggering all over the place, almost like it was drunk. It walked into saplings, and appeared to be hit. I thought my neighbor had shot it, so I get out my binos and check it over. Nope, no wounds, but it had drool hanging about 8 inches from its mouth, and its eyes were closed [&:]. It would stop every few seconds and cough/ wheeze.I could see its ribs when it approached my stand. No joke, if this deer weighed 30 lbs on the hoof I would be surprised. After watching it struggle to mystand, I decided to take it. I called the DNR and asked them about the symptoms of blue tongue...he said that was what it sounded like to him. This was the first kill of the year for me, and totally heartbreaking to watch.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:58 PM

Default RE: put one out of it's misery this morning

Thats a noble thing to do.

Just curious, what did you do with it? If thrown away, did the DNR say you had to use a tag?
Old 10-27-2007, 07:02 PM
Fork Horn

Good job you did the right thing, poor little fella.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

He told me to leave it lay where it dropped, and I did have to tag it. Burning a tag wasn't an issue, but watching it suffer was like nothing I had ever seen before.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:05 PM

ORIGINAL: buttonbuckmaster

He told me to leave it lay where it dropped, and I did have to tag it. Burning a tag wasn't an issue, but watching it suffer was like nothing I had ever seen before.
Yeah I understand. You did the right thing. Good job on that!
Old 10-27-2007, 07:06 PM
Spike

What state was this in? Did the DNR say they would like to do any tests on it to see what disease it had if any?
Old 10-27-2007, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

This was in IL, the reason I called was to see if they wanted to see/take the deer in. He said the number of calls they had received about sick or dead deer this fall was mind blowing. Hopefully we will get a killing freeze soon.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:47 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-27-2007, 07:55 PM

What part of IL?
There have been alot of deer killed by the disease I can't pronounce or rather, spell........... you know, the one spread by gnats.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

You did the right thing but I dont see why you had to use a tag. The deer would have died within 24 hours and wasnt fit to eat.

I know a guy who killed a doe and it had a lot of tumors all over it. He called the CO and he told him to just leave and he didnt have to use a tag.

Quick Reply: put one out of it's misery this morning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.