Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Yet another scent lock question...... >

Yet another scent lock question......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Yet another scent lock question......

Old 10-26-2007, 05:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Yet another scent lock question......

Hopefully it doesn't turn into a long drawn out debate (haha) [8D]. If you use scent lock for all your baselayers, gloves and head gear, etc..why would you need scent lock for your outer clothing (pants and jacket)? If scent lock clothing works and you're using it as a first line of defense, why would you need anything on the outside? If there is a need for a scent lock jacket and pants, is that to say just in case the stuff you bought for your baselayer doesnt' work you're covered again? I just don't see the need to have 2 or 3 layers of scent lock when the first layer is "supposed to" do the job. This isnt' really a "does scent lock clothing work" thread.It's more about the concept.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Yet another scent lock question......

i only wear it as an outter layer...

only because Germ was kind enough to send me 2 suits of it...

i guess if you double or triple layer the stuff, you would beable to "contain" more scent..if anything got past the base layers..

or the base layers had scent on the outside of them or something of that nature...

in the end, your walking around in a PILE of cash lol...guess if you were super anal about scent control, and believed in the stuff doubling the stuff could only help....

Old 10-26-2007, 05:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

guess if you were super anal about scent control, and believed in the stuff doubling the stuff could only help....
If you believed in the stuff then the first layer should be all you need right?

Old 10-26-2007, 05:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

hey...some guys are super anal about their scent control practices...i heard of someone shaving most all of their body because hair holds scent...if your anal about scent control and have the cash, im sure people wear as much of the stuff as they can...just to catch anything the previous layer didnt lol...but, your right...if you believe it works, and wear 1 outter layer, you should be good. but the more the better i suppose??

really, the important key to the step is keeping that OUTSIDE layer clean...your body may be washed in scent free microsupernaturalpestacidespermacidal killing agents( ) and you might be wrapped in pure activated carbon...but what goods that all gunna do when your outter camo layer is smeared in dog poop, beer, vomit and womans perfume from the wild night before???

i think that is where alot of guys mess up. that outter layer is clutch...its what the wind is hitting...its going to give off MORE scent than anything else...

i really believe my outter layer truely helps...i am far from anal about scent control...but started getting more cautious...shower, keeping clothes clean, not wearing them anywhere but IN THE WOODS etc...and its noticable. no more getting winded...even when i hunt the wind, the deer seem to come in down wind, or the wind swirls right as they are in my setup...always works that way lol...but i know one thing. ive farted in my jeans on the way to my spot. about puked..NASTY. put on the scent loc and let out another one....sure enough, never smelled it...ive tested it many times in that fashion..if my farts stink that day...they STINK lol...made me a believe...but were not getting into that debate

in the end, i think alot of it is confidence and piece of mind. one less thing to sit there worrying about. and some guys feel more is better/needed....
Old 10-26-2007, 06:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

really, the important key to the step is keeping that OUTSIDE layer clean...your body may be washed in scent free microsupernaturalpestacidespermacidal killing agents( ) and you might be wrapped in pure activated carbon...but what goods that all gunna do when your outter camo layer is smeared in dog poop, beer, vomit and womans perfume from the wild night before???
Well if the outside of your outer layer is smeared in poop, beer, vomit and womans perfume then scent lock isn't going to be "locking" anything. Sounds like an interesting night though. What the heck goes on in PA[8D]?
Old 10-26-2007, 06:17 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-26-2007, 06:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I not only use one layer I use 3. Why not? Got to wear clothes and layers work well for me.The cost is really a none issue. All good clothes cost andI'm a good shopper. They are quality clothes with or without the scent elimination. If it's got it all the better andagain ya got'a wear clothes that keep you warm and dry and they do. There's no down side is there? The weave is so tight they block the cold winds well with a light fabric. That's a good thing isn't it?

Old 10-27-2007, 04:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

I not only use one layer I use 3. Why not? Got to wear clothes and layers work well for me.The cost is really a none issue. All good clothes cost andI'm a good shopper. They are quality clothes with or without the scent elimination. If it's got it all the better andagain ya got'a wear clothes that keep you warm and dry and they do. There's no down side is there? The weave is so tight they block the cold winds well with a light fabric. That's a good thing isn't it?
Yes nodog I agree with you on that. The camo is still camo and it makes for good clothing either way. But the theory behind it is what I was wondering about. If you believe in it, then the first layer should be all you need right? The stuff works doesnt' it?
Old 10-27-2007, 04:44 AM
Host of Hosts

This isnt' really a "does scent lock clothing work" thread.It's more about the concept
Kinda seems like your heading in that direction of a does it doesn't it work thread by your follow up questions.

To answer you original question.. Yes a base layer in theory should be enough. Do I use layers? Yes. I sometimes have to unzip the outer layer if the temps get a little warmer than expected. In that case I'm glad I had base layer on as well. On the opposite side if it gets cooler than expected I have enough layers to stay comfy. I have noticed this year.. actually last weds night when I had 3 deer not 15 feet from me at ground level not see or wind me that I became a much bigger fan of scent blocker. The deer i never knew were there and vice versa until I moved to set down my bow while taping 20 other deer in a soybean field. We could argue this point until the end of time and there will be those who think it works and those who don't. Just like scent and lures, but thats another issue.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Kinda seems like your heading in that direction of a does it doesn't it work thread by your follow up questions.
Fair enough. Let's assume for the sake of this thread that it does work. Forget all the scientific facts and opinionsto the contrary. Let's just say it works. Brings me back to my original thought. If it 100%does work then why do you need anything beyond your baselayer?What scents are you locking beyond your baselayer?

Another twist.......[8D]

Do you spray down your outer layer with scent killer before heading to the woods? If so hasn't that killed all the odors your outer layer has accumalated? Why would you need scent lok? If you have baselayer on and keeping the odors from your body hidden and you've got rid of everything on the outside, why scent-lok jacket and pants?

Quick Reply: Yet another scent lock question......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.