Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
? for 5shot or anyone on the rocket Hammerhead-4L >

? for 5shot or anyone on the rocket Hammerhead-4L

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

? for 5shot or anyone on the rocket Hammerhead-4L

Old 01-18-2003, 01:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default ? for 5shot or anyone on the rocket Hammerhead-4L

I am thinking of trying this head out next year and I am wondering how well they fly and how durable they are. I think these heads would put a moster hole in a deer with the 4 blades and the 2" cut dia.
I will have KE to spare I should be in the 75-80 flbs I will be shot a Bowtech Pro38 dual cam at 30" 70lbs with around 375-400 grain arrow.
Old 01-18-2003, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ? for 5shot or anyone on the rocket Hammerhead-4L

I have not tested the 4 blade version, but have tested the 3 blade hammerhead. I see this head as a very limited use broadhead. For turkeys it would be great, but for deer I think very few bowhunters have enough KE to push it through. I would think 70 ft/lbs would be a safe minimum for this head. Your setup should provide all you need to get the job done. On the Three blade heads they fly great, and held up a lot better than I would have thought. The blades realy get twisted up in the plywood and steel drum tests, but they stay on the head. They look like curly fries from Arbys! Penetration was limited as one may exspect with a two inch cutting diameter. I think they would be very devistating on deer size animals provided the bowhunter has well tuned bow and a minimum of 70 ft/lbs of KE. As with all rocket heads the blades could be sharper, but a redi-edge knife sharpner does a pretty good job of geting them shaving sharp.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 01-18-2003, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't used the 4L so I will just pass this on for what its worth.

I have shot a number of good bucks with the Hammerhead 3L with kintec energy ranging from 60 ft. lbs. to 70 ft.lbs. with excellent results. I don't rememeber any that weren't pass throughs. Excellent short blood trails were the norm with the animals usually succumbing in sight. As far as tissue damage it is easily the most "wicked" head I have used.

They do fly great. Everyone has their own opinion but I wouldn't consider them durable. If you practice with them you will be bending and breaking them.

If you do your part they are one of the most devasting heads out there.

Old 01-18-2003, 12:49 PM

Hi,

I use this head exclusivly,but use the 3 blade.My setup is a single cam bow at 60# at 28" draw with a 460 grain arrow.I would stay away from shooting an arrow of less than 400 grains.If you can stay with something in the mid 400 grain you will have a devastating setup.