Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Coolest hunt ever Wheelin SPortsman Nanny Whackers >

Coolest hunt ever Wheelin SPortsman Nanny Whackers

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Coolest hunt ever Wheelin SPortsman Nanny Whackers

Old 10-25-2007, 06:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default Coolest hunt ever Wheelin SPortsman Nanny Whackers

I psoted this in a few other forums and had to share it with you guys even though it was a gun hunt....this should jerk at the old Heart strings.....Enjoy

Talk about an emotional HIGH!!

This Past weekend I was invited to guide a disabaled hunter on, what I hope to be not my last, a hunt to remeber. It all started with a phone call back in Augustfrom good friend and promotions manager Chris O'hara of Bass pro shops in Harrisburg, Pa. He started by asking me what I was doing the last weekend of the PA early muzzleoader season. I replied "Probably HUnting. why?" He then proceeded to eaplain to me this program calle dthe wheeling sportsman and hunts they put on for the disabled.
Let me say I was honored he ask me. It was much more in depth than that but I simplified it for the post. I said I will do it, ABSOLUTELY!! Tell me where an when to be there and what I need to do. He said are you sure, you will not be able to hunt that day you are to assist your hunter. I said not a problem. God has blessed me with many opportunities of my ownso it is the least I could do. Well this day could not havecome soon enough, The festivities were kicked off with a simple but nice banquet at the Hbg. Bass Pro (which by the way did not press release this nor did they ask me to post this but I just felt like I had to share this with everyone) for this day was for the hunters.

ANyway, I finally got to meet my hunter and her husband. Right away we hit it off. Here I found out that my hunter was a true marksman, the last time she hunted (10 years ago) she shot a doe at about 60 yards right in the eye......geez......SO I knew we were in for a fun time. I asked her how she ended up wheel chair bound andShe told me after her child was born she was diagnosed w/ MS. The interesting thing she also shared with me was a conversation with her doctor. He was puzzled how she was afflicted with this and he said "Geez it seem slike when you were pregnant your were fine but when you stopped having kids is when we diagnosed you. Maybe you shouldhave stayed pregnant." Now mind you she was laughing so hard while telling me this I just about peed my pants. She said Heck No to the doctor. I thought it was great how she learned to deal with what hand she was delt. It made me feel really fortunate and appreciate what a great family I was blessed with.

BACK TO THE HUNT....SO we fast forward to the blind. We met bright and early on some PRIMElaned that the land owner graciously allowed us to hunt (normally this is200 acres limited to three lucky hunters) ANyway. I explained to her how the deer would move and the potential spots they would likey travel. By the way Her husband is a ROCK he was there to share this entire event. We had her in the blindwithher custom gun rest made by her husband. and he and I were o each side with the windows down so we could communicate. Well first thing the action started, grey fox, turkeys and ...........cue the deer........here they come. Just like they read the script. they filed right past us like clock work. BUt nothing we wanted to take. We had plenty of action and the morning wentfast.The action slowed around 9:30 am so webroke down for the morning and discussed the evning plans on the way out.

SO Lunch and a nap and we are back in the woods. We settled n about 4pm and it was not long we had deer. (maybe 20minutes) nothing we were able to shoot. ANother 20 minutes and bingo we had a deer feeding straight toward us at 12 o'clock. I ranged it for her at 138 yards. Sh e was shooting a.223 and her husband said it was dialed in I asked her if she was ok with the shot because the deer cut to the right and was headed for an apple orchard she gave me the thumbs up ( my heart pounded)Here we go this is going to happen I could hardlytake it. She was excited so I had to show my reserve, her husband once again a ROCK and was coaching her. e got the gun ready and postioned. I said whenever you are ready take the shot........(can you feel the anticipation)........then ......Boom.......the shot rings out. To my suprise the deer stands there DOES NOT MOVE....I said if you are on her hit her again, ask calm as I could..........BOOM........deerstarts feeding.....(in my head I am going nuts WHAT!!) calmly again I said if you are still on her shoot again........boom.........deer lift head and stands there............unbeleivable..........HIT HER AGAIN....I was a little excited at this point...........BOOM shot # 5....the magazine is empty deer runs off. watch throught the binos as the deer goes 40 yards and tumbles........YES, YES, high fves , hugs, etc. Deer is down.........I cannot explain to you the feeling I had at that moment.

Was it the toughest hunt I was ever on....NO...was it me pulling the trigger...NO....was it the satisfied I have ever been hunting....YES...no mind you I was fortunate enough this year to shoot the largest buck of my hunting career with a bow (143" pig in PA) and this feeling topped that. I wish they coould bottle this stuff and feed it to all the anti's out there trying to stop this sport. Thisis why I had to share this here are some pics of the hunt. there were 4 huunters on this property and 3 all killed deer not bad. A great time regardless of the harvest. I aske dChris if I could do this again next year and he graciously said yes. I am already looking forward to hunting with them next year.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Coolest hunt ever Wheelin SPortsman Nanny Whackers

These deer might as well have been 150" bucks in there eyes.very cool to see there reactions.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Wheelin SPortsman PA 2007!!

Thats a great story kidd. I bet that is a feeling that is hard to discribe. Kuto's to you, keep up the great work!
When it come to hunting it's people like you that really get it Give yourself a big ol'e pat on the back!!!
Congrats
crutch
Old 10-25-2007, 07:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

awesome man!!

i talked to the regional coordinator(jim) alot of times (on huntingpa) GREAT guy...i want to get out and help..but either the event or whatever going on is far from me or its close and im absolutely busy with work or school...

i KNOW that would be awesome and hope to do the same when possible...
Old 10-25-2007, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is truly AWESOME!!!!
Great story.....makes me wish i was there.
I might just have to do something like that some time!

You sound likea great man Kidd642....my hats off to you!
Old 10-25-2007, 07:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah - Idid some guiding for Wheelin' Sportsmen in turkey season with the guy Mauser's talking about. Really good friend of mine. Great guy, great program. He's working with Outdoors Without Limits now, and we have a guided turkey hunt coming up this spring again. I'd trade every turkey I've ever shot just to see one of these kids seal the deal.

It's really hard, as I'm sure you now know. Some of the disabilities are heartbreaking. The experiences (for both guide and guided) are invaluable.

Props to you for doing a great thing. Those hunts are the ones I look forward to every season.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

quik...send the info my way when you get it...if its in the area, and i can make it, id LOVE to help out...college makes things tough...exspecially that time of year(finals) but if i can swing it, id love to....
Old 10-26-2007, 10:32 AM
Typical Buck

Crutch, this is one of those things you just have to experience. The key to this was the landowners and the accessability. It was a team effort by all who organized. If anybody ever has the opportunity I suggesst you do it.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mauser - I'll shoot you the details when it happens. I'm not surewhether we're doing a disabled hunt, or if he's auctioning off a guided hunt to a donor(with me as the guide) just to benefit the foundation. I told him I'll do whatever, so... That's a long way off.

KIDD - you're definitely right. You need a cooperative landowner for sure. Usually, those hunts require motorized transportation from the parking area to the stand site, and that's just not feasible in a lot of places. Luckily, most any landowner you ask is really receptive to helping out. Especially where there are kids involved.

I'm glad that you guys were successful. Those hunts require a lot of things to come together seamlessly - it's not easy. A well-deserved pat on the back.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:55 AM

That is an awsome story Frank, thats what huntings all about!

Quick Reply: Coolest hunt ever Wheelin SPortsman Nanny Whackers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.