Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Monday was good to me, but have q Question.. >

Monday was good to me, but have q Question..

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Monday was good to me, but have q Question..

Old 10-25-2007, 08:48 AM

Default Monday was good to me, but have q Question..

I killed a nice 16" wide very symetric 8 pt. Monday evening at 5:30 pm. It was hot about 83 deg. Didn't matter to the buck, he bedded down at 50 yds for about 20 mins and then came right to the open bottle of "deer dander" at bottom of the tree! shot him at 9 yds through some very thick holly bushes, only had one small opening. When I hit him he almost fell right there? He only ran 20 yds and I watched him take his last breath about 10 sec. later. When I got to him, the arrow had hit him just below the spine and came the gut. From what I can tell it didn't hit the spinal cord, but he went down like a dbl lunger. What did I really hit? That vein everyone speaks of or just hit nerves to the spine and he bled out that quickly??
Old 10-25-2007, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Monday was good to me, but have q Question..

I'd just be happy about the kill!!! Any pics?
Old 10-25-2007, 08:56 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-25-2007, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you hit him next to the spine you probably cut a main artery and she bled out real quick.

We need pix!!!
Old 10-25-2007, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

Artery under the spine will bleed out a deer or elk in less that 10 sec.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you had an arrow break your back you would fall instantly to no matter if the spinal cord was hit or not. Thats alot of KE in one spot.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shot selection.....?
Old 10-25-2007, 10:05 AM

PICTURES!!!!!!
Old 10-25-2007, 10:28 AM

Thanks guys for the opinions. I was aiming for the boiler maker, however, I think my arrow hit a limb and deflected? It was a clean pass through, I hit him way back, about middle of his body just close to his spine. I would love to show some pics, however, I do not know how to upload them and they are on a friends camera at the moment, I am working on both. I also have some pics ready to upload of deer that I have killed in the past, some bow ,some shotgun. I would love for you guys to try and score them from looking at the pics, I never had them scored. My biggest buck to date with gun or bow was killed in 97, a massive main framed 7 with a kicker point at the back of his base. He was 4 1/2 ". at the base, 23" inside spread and massive, and tall. He weighed 182 lbs. on the hoof. Big deer for southeast Va. I guess it is good to be lucky sometimes when shooting a bow!!!
Old 10-25-2007, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

You most likely hit the superior portion of the femoral artery that runs just below the spine.Two years ago I shot a BB at 35 yards and the angle/distance he was standing at made my arrow cut that vein in half as it passed through him. Anyways, I shot him and knew I hit him good, but was absolutely blown away when he literally took two leaps (about 10 yds) and dropped dead. He literally died in less than 2 seconds. When I gutted him, I discovered I indeed had hit the artery below the spine as my arrow passed through him and there was an unbelievable amount of blood in his chest because it all poured out of the vein into the chest.

Heres a pic where you can see the entrance hole. Its not as far back as what I think you are describing, but the artery runs the length of the spine until it reaches the back legs.

Quick Reply: Monday was good to me, but have q Question..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.