Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Impressed w/ 2008 General! >

Impressed w/ 2008 General!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Impressed w/ 2008 General!

Old 10-23-2007, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Impressed w/ 2008 General!

I was about to ask if you've tightened the mods, but guess that answered my question. You may also check the string suppressor pocket or whatever you call it. It has some allen screws, but I doubt it would cause as much vibration as you have described. Best of luck, don't write the bow off, it's a great hunting bow.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Its not the mods and you're exaggerating that you can feelanything after the shot.

It's your cam/axel spacers.
Somebody in the build room left out a cam spacer and the 2 little ones are buzzing against each other on the shelf side of the cam. You can probably drop a finger in there and spin them by hand.
Look closely at the gap between the limb cap and the cam surface, if you can see axel or move the spacer/s by handthen the spacer is wrong.
Throw it in a press,bring the axel out 1/3 of the way to drop the spacers on that side and swap out with a .112" solid single spacer. Thats what I did for mine because when I would flick the cam with my finger to check the mod screws I was getting a buzz on mine.
If you don't have on hand have the shop guy call Bowtech for spacers.

Trust me someone at Bowtech got a punch in the temple for that one but I think a couple got out the door like that. Its a $.05 / 5 minute fix but annoying nontheless.

I can almost guarantee you that's the problem and it's aquickie fix.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:16 PM
Typical Buck

As standard procedure I always , BEFORE I shoot any bow, check all the mod screws ( i even use blue loctite on them) check e-clips, suppressors, you name it. The bow pretty much gets the once over. I usually have success with it after that. Archery is a sport of detail. BYthe way I am getting 278ft per sec with a 350gr arrow @ 26" not too bad.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:57 PM

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Its not the mods and you're exaggerating that you can feelanything after the shot.

Somebody in the build room left out a cam spacer and the 2 little ones are buzzing against each other on the shelf side of the cam. You can probably drop a finger in there and spin them by hand.
Look closely at the gap between the limb cap and the cam surface, if you can see axel or move the spacer/s by handthen the spacer is wrong.
Throw it in a press,bring the axel out 1/3 of the way to drop the spacers on that side and swap out with a .112" solid single spacer. Thats what I did for mine because when I would flick the cam with my finger to check the mod screws I was getting a buzz on mine.

Trust me someone at Bowtech got a punch in the temple for that one but I think a couple got out the door like that. Its a $.05 / 5 minute fix but annoying nontheless.

You are absolutely right, my General has the same problem. Those spacers were very loose and every time I knocked on the limbs with my knuckles they would buzz. The bow is at the shop right now, although the dealer didn't know what was wrong and was waiting on an answer from Bowtech. Guess I'll go tell him tomorrow.

The other problem I had on mine was a twisted limb, but thats another story.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:29 PM

ORIGINAL: Alex Nenadic

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

You are absolutely right, my General has the same problem. Those spacers were very loose and every time I knocked on the limbs with my knuckles they would buzz. The bow is at the shop right now, although the dealer didn't know what was wrong and was waiting on an answer from Bowtech. Guess I'll go tell him tomorrow.

The other problem I had on mine was a twisted limb, but thats another story.
I really want to try a Bowtech as I have been a Mathews man forever; but stories like this make me wonder.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I really want to try a Bowtech as I have been a Mathews man forever; but stories like this make me wonder.
Actually the clarification on this that I got was that the spacers aren't technically wrong, but the end caps that go over the limb tips were out of spec. The supplier sent a bunch that were under spec with regards tothickness which caused the standard spacer widths to be incompatible because the end cap itself is supposed to fill that void.There is nothing structurally "wrong" with them, they just should have been mated with a larger thickness spacer and the builders didn't catch it. They weregoing off their spec sheets for spacer thickness not figuring the end caps would come in of a varying thickness.
The build team is aware of these end caps and it's only supposed to be a batch of them that went out this way and their is a QC person checking each one to make sure the fit is correct. Bowtech will supply any dealer with the replacement parts to take away any buzz that the gap might cause.

They won't all be like that obviously but if you're one of the lucky early ones that were in that batch (like myself) it's seriously a 5 minute no hassle fix. (if that)
Old 10-28-2007, 07:08 AM
Fork Horn

Me too - but I made the switch to a used, beat up Guardian...and i couldnt be happier...I am ordering a General soon....hopefully black with black cams if they will do it.