Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 intersting day...more tracking tomorrow >

intersting day...more tracking tomorrow

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

intersting day...more tracking tomorrow

Old 10-22-2007, 10:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default intersting day...more tracking tomorrow

i got to the woods at 430 pm today. i decided to sit on a natural blind on a field edge. at 5:00 i saw a doe and either her two older fawns or 2 smaller does right by my stand i almost sat in across the field. i was mad at first, but then i bleated and they immediatly ran my way. i thought the doe was at 30 yards, but it was more like 40 so i missed short and they ran off.

then i look down at my phone, reading 545 pm. i look to my right and there is a smaller buck. it would be my first deer so i saw the antlers and was ready to shoot. i thought it looked closer so i aimed at 30 yds again and missed low again! my blind didnt have any cover to that side, but even after the shot the deer was looking for where the shot came from but didnt see me. i slowly reached for my last arrow, nocked it, aimed at my 40 yard pin and hit him right behind the front leg, on the lower side of the animal. isaw the deer run into the woods with the arrow, the entry wound was bleeding alot, but no pass thru. i heard it crashing loud as it was running thru the woods and then i heard nothing. the blood that ifound wasa pretty rich red.

after waiting an hour or so i went into the woods and started to track it, but as it darkend and my flash light died i went home to get another. when i got back to the woods it was raining like crazy. i tracked it for a long ways trying to find as much blood as i could before it all gets washed away but around 10:00 i marked the last blood and came home. i found the fletching side of the arrow first, then i found the broadhead (muzzy) side. the side with the broadhead was only about 6 to 8 inches long.

so i learned a few things. i need a range finder, its good to have extra arrows, and i may have to push the weight up on my bow. its at 50# now (205 fps) and it didnt seem to penetrate very well at 40 yards.

srry about the length
Old 10-22-2007, 10:36 PM

Default RE: intersting day...more tracking tomorrow

Don't worry my friend. A week ago last sunday I had a 7-pt at 15 yards. I shoot 65lbs with arrow speed around 270-280. I took a shot and hit the animal low (behind shoulder about 4 inches low.) When the deer ran off I saw that the majority of my arrow was sticking out. I saw the deer run and fall. To my surprise he got up and started to run again. For the next fifteen minutes I heard him run and crash and run and crash. I gave him an hour after I heard him crash the last time. Found the arrow almost immediately. I discovered that I only penitrated about 7 inches. The blood you describe is what I found. Rich, bright red blood. Turns out that I missed the heart, but got the lungs. He ran a total of about 150 yards...good blood all the way. Like I said, the shot went low and lodged in the opposite leg bone. Keep faith and you will find your deer.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:39 PM
Fork Horn

thanks man, ill be looking
Old 10-22-2007, 11:10 PM
Fork Horn

Another thing to consider would be setting a maximum yardage that you won't shoot at a deer beyond, say 25-30 yards. This would help with your penetration and also making a quick, clean, effective kill. Good luck in your tracking and hope you recover your deer.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:16 PM
Fork Horn

thanks, im considering that. along w/ working my way up 10 more lbs in draw weight by next year.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:23 PM

so did you find it???
Old 10-23-2007, 11:49 PM
Fork Horn

yes...my dad found it this morning while i was at a dentist appt. it was a 6 pt. 4 on the left and 2 on the right...and there was an exit wound on the other side. i think i got two lungs or a heart and lung or something like that. it did run over 200 yards tho. it was kinda weird cuz the arrow musta came back out the entrance hole, cuz thats what i found on the trail first.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good job on the recovery. You owe your dad one. Any pics?
Old 10-24-2007, 03:17 AM
Host of Hosts

I'm glad you found your deer. That's Great! But one thing someone mentioned already is to limit your shot distance to 30 yards max with that draw weight and practice judging your distances.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Alright sure glad it was found and congrats and yes invest in a good rangefinder it will be one of your best investments

Quick Reply: intersting day...more tracking tomorrow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.