Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

WI hunters

Old 10-22-2007, 03:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default WI hunters

I am reading the laws pertaining to hunting public land. When they say you cant damage any tree on public land, what do they mean? I have a climber with teeth that contact the tree, are they going to consider this damage? Can you clear small branches from the tree your in?

I just want to stay on the good side of the DNR.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: WI hunters

I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble for a climber, stand, or sticks that scrape the tree bark when setting on the tree. Basically what they mean is you can't screw anything into the tree - e.g. tree steps, screws, etc.

You're also technically not supposed to trim branches or cut limbs, but I've also never heard of anyone getting in trouble for a few hand-pruner snips. I'm pretty sure they just don't want you sawing down full trees and limbs to create a massive hole to shoot through.

Yes, it takes some clever stand placement to make a good shot, and it can be a pain in the butt, but that's life hunting on public land.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:23 PM
Fork Horn

I'm not sure, but I think stands the bite into the bark are illegal. Like the teeth on climbers.
Brian
Old 10-22-2007, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info guys. I went Goose hunting with some guys a couple of weeks ago and we went on the wrong side of 41....tickets... I cant blame anyone but myself I should have known better. Now I am trying to be by the book.

So do you guys use sticks and lock on stands, or climbers?
Old 10-22-2007, 06:19 PM

I use a climber on public land and have never had a problem. A climbing stand won't do anything to a tree that is going to threaten its well being. The big issue is permament stands or leaving a stand over night.