Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tracking deer with dogs >

Tracking deer with dogs

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tracking deer with dogs

Old 10-22-2007, 01:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default Tracking deer with dogs

I'm sure this has been brought up sometime in a past forum but when I search, nothing comes up. I am new to this forum and might I add, it is by far the best one I have seen. I've also noticed some of the people that post on the smalelr forums also post here.

Anyways, I'm looking for a possible deer tracking dog. I'm not in any scenario where I need one (yet), but I know it would be nice to have someone I could call in that unfortunate moment upon wounding a deer. I am from mid-Michigan. Just want to know if there is another forum out there talking about this where someone can just reply with the link or if anyone knows of any deer tracking dog owners in this area.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tracking deer with dogs

This is a book that you may want to get. I have read it myself. My friend is currently on a waiting list from the author to get one of his dogs.

http://leerburg.com/964.htm

Here isa forum:

http://www.leerburg.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
Old 10-22-2007, 02:00 PM

I would make sure its legal in your state too.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:01 PM

How stupid of an idea is it to make it illegal to track a downed deer with a dog!
Old 10-22-2007, 04:18 PM
Spike

look on www.unitedbloodtrackers.org there's one guy from michigan there and he may know of some others. good luck
Old 10-23-2007, 07:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here in NY, you have to have a license which requires an extensive test. The dog has to be leashed. You do however get certain privledged such as carrying a firearm into the woods at night to finish a deer off. But, unless you are also a licensed guide, you can not recieve 1 cent for your work.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

BobCo, My breeder wants me to get registered and take NY's test so I can track in NY.

All, I own a Wire Haired Dachshund and is very much in training and has done a fantastic job thus far in his training. I belong to the United Blood Trackers at the link provided above by catch. It's a fantastic organization and many trackers willing to come out at most any hour to track for hunters. It's a great org to look into. I know my breeders dog, (my dogs sire) has found deer and bear over 72 hours old.

There used to be a member here too that breeds WH Dachshunds for the same purpose, Kevin1...down it TX.

I was goint to purchase one of his dogs when he turned me towards Andy Bensing here in PA. Andy tracks in NY as well as MD. He and the org are trying to get it legalized here in PA. It's still the right thing to do and is an old outdated law. It's all bull politics now. Last year it passed the House and went onto the Senate where some ass politician attached a bill knowing it would fail....bull politics. Andy is getting frusterated as it's been a long trial.

If anyone here in PA is interested you can either join or write your Rep and Senator asking why this is not legal. It's been introduced as HB420...beg for it. You can read more here: http://www.unitedbloodtrackers.org/pages/pastory.html

http://www.unitedbloodtrackers.org/index.php Also has a state by state registration on those willing to track. If you know of a tracker that is not on the web page, have them join and register. Any animal found by whatever means necessary will always be the right thing to do.

Good luck out here.

Here's my boy, my little Axel, my tracker:
Old 10-23-2007, 08:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

YeahI'm one PA guy who could have benefitted GREATLY from a tracking dog....... you can bet your last dollar I will be writing to help get that law changed.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

BobCo, My breeder wants me to get registered and take NY's test so I can track in NY.
I believe Deer Search runs a prep course for the test. You may want to look into that.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks Bob, I'm involved with the UBT and Deer Search with John and Jola Jeanenne. John wrote the book, Tracking Dogs for finding Wounded Game. I correspond with them often and they are also on the UBT.

Matt, it is Stabach (sp) is respondsible for the downfall of the law this past year. Write him and professionally slam him for his actions. Anyone and everyone can be written. I'm using your story on your buck and you can too as well as anyone else willing to write our government, officials or Game Commission regarding it.

Also write, Sam Roare (sp), Carl Roe, Game and Fish committees etc...

Quick Reply: Tracking deer with dogs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.