Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 CHECK YOUR STANDS!!!!! >

CHECK YOUR STANDS!!!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

CHECK YOUR STANDS!!!!!

Old 10-22-2007, 11:15 AM

Default CHECK YOUR STANDS!!!!!

Hey guys,

Just a friendly reminder to all you guys who hunt from ladder or hang on stands to check them every time you get in/out of your stand. Saturday evening I took my fiance out hunting and set her up in a ladder stand. She climbed up and sat down and everything was fine. The hunt went without a hitch (besides only seeing 4 deer), but things got interesting when I climbed down out of my climber beside her and headed towards her. She lowered her bow to me and I stood back for her to climb down. As she was climbing down I watched the stand twist away from the tree and she fell. Luckily she was more than half way down and she probablly fell around 6 feet. She landed on her back on top of a fallen down tree. Thank God she only had a little cut on her finger but she is still really sore. The only thing that I can figure is either that the rain softened the ground and allowed on side of the ladder to sink into the ground which allowed the top to twist off the tree or that strong winds had shifted the tree around enough to loosen the ratchet strap.

Be careful out there guys and remember to check your stands everytime you go into the woods.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: CHECK YOUR STANDS!!!!!

Also check your stand when hunting ground that you do not exclusively have rights to. There are jerks out there that will loosen the straps if they think you are intruding where they want to hunt. Happened to me and the DNR guy for the area caught them the 2nd time they were doing it. Result: Assault W/Intent to Commit Bodily Harm. They were PO'd because I had a stand in a honey spot they wanted. They figured they'd "scare" me out.

Like BM says, check your stand and I'll add in:don't go up without a harness and once you get up there, use the dang thing! Not worth dying over or being disabled!!!
Old 10-22-2007, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

What the heck, you didn't catch her? She is very lucky, and good reminder.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will check mine, thanks.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:39 AM

wow thats not good hope she feels better
Old 10-22-2007, 11:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Didn't she have a safety strap on?

Old 10-22-2007, 11:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Get her stand a set of these: Leg levelers I have them for mine, they reduce sinking and slipping.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:46 PM

Didn't she have a safety strap on?
She wears a safety harness when she is in stand, but as I said, she was climbing down the ladder when this happened.

Get her stand a set of these: Leg levelers I have them for mine, they reduce sinking and slipping.
Thanks Kevin, I will definetly invest in a set of those. Thanks again for the tip buddy.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:06 PM

ive also had squirrells chew through the strap
Old 10-22-2007, 03:52 PM

I have found that most of the time the strap will loosen from the wind blowing the tree back and forth when it gets windy.

Quick Reply: CHECK YOUR STANDS!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.