Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Opportunity Lost >

Opportunity Lost

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Opportunity Lost

Old 10-21-2007, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Opportunity Lost

Yesterday AM I got busted by a deer when I had to cough. Stayed quite a bit past that even though the wind was trying to rock me to sleep. Last night I spent 4 1/2 hours in the stand watching 2 coyotes romping on the edge of the bean field and watched the farmer make 10 - 12 trips back and forth the the woodline to my East. Once again, the wind was whipping up big time.

This AM at 4:30 the wind was still blowing as hard as it was yesterday. I decided to get some work done around the farm. Spent all day moving dirt to fill a ravine that was threatening to wash out my drive. Moved about 20 tons of dirt with my JD4100 and then went into the house to eat lunch about 4:00 PM. Wife had been working all day inside the house and decided we should run into town to eat dinner. After we finished eating and left the restaurant, it was calm as all get out and the temperature had dropped 20 degrees. On the drive home, saw the deer starting to move.

I am on leave all this week so I have more days to hunt as long as the weather cooperates. Did I screw up by passing on a day of hunting?
Old 10-21-2007, 07:49 PM

Default RE: Opportunity Lost

You should have had a cough silencer.....just kidding it happens to the best of us. Keep your head up. www.tripletwhitetails.com

Old 10-21-2007, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Passing on any chance to hunt is a mistake! Good luck with the rest of your week!
Old 10-21-2007, 08:44 PM
Fork Horn

If your not there you cant get one. but truely we probly will never know what came into your stand that night unless you have a trail cam up of something.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:25 PM

Nope. You got some needed work done, now you can attend to more important matters.....
Old 10-21-2007, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. Tomorrow it could have rained and washed out your d'way. Today you fixed your land and tomorrow you saved some bucks by not havin to fix your d'way. I thought the AF taught priorities[:-].
Whatever deer walked in front of your stand will do so again......... just make sure next time you don't make the same mistake. You be sittin there.[8D]
Old 10-21-2007, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh, I know I did the right thing. Now that it's done I'll be sitting in the stand rain or shine without that work sitting in the back of my mind. It just seems like since moving here, the majority of my time is spent fixing the problems that we keep finding that weren't disclosed when we bought the place. Today I got done what HAD to be done. The minor crap on the honey-do list will get done as the week goes on during times that will not interfere with me getting the meat for my Awesome Sawsome Jerky.

BTW Sawsome is how you pronounce deer in Korean. The Awesome Sawsome Jerky is made with a Korean beef marinade. Everyone who has tried it has pronounced it handsdown the best Jerky they've ever had. I also have a recipe I made up for the best dang venison chili there is (if you like spicy chili).

God Bless America!
Old 10-22-2007, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

AFHunter saving yer driveway is pretty important because if you didn't have a driveway how are you gonna get that bruiser yer gonna get to the butcher shop. Well you have a good week on leave but I have one question why didn't you take leave the first week of November .
Old 10-22-2007, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

As usual in the military the best hunting times mean nothing. Spring turkey season, was in Mississippi teaching a joint forces course. The rut, teaching the same course again. I tried to get them to move the course to a less important time like Thanksgiving to no avail. So the first two weeks in November are shot. Then two weeks in March are shot. Finally, the first week in May is taken up. The second week in May next year I retire so no more huntus interruptus!
Old 10-22-2007, 05:50 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Lost6580

You should have had a cough silencer.....just kidding it happens to the best of us.
Laugh if you like, but they actually work pretty well.

Quick Reply: Opportunity Lost

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.