Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 gettin close show what the heck are they doing >

gettin close show what the heck are they doing

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

gettin close show what the heck are they doing

Old 10-21-2007, 08:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: gettin close show what the heck are they doing

3 days without being gutted? How many pics do they need?
Old 10-21-2007, 08:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Stormy_NY

Please tell me you guys are not serious ...and are saying this stuff with no proof . Are you really telling me that taking the time to take some pics is going to ruin the meat? You guys really look for something to dis these people and even if there is nothing there you make it up.

Excuse me? Did you watch the show? The facts speak for themselves. The deer was not skinned for several days. What's made up? No one said that taking time to take pictures is going to ruin the meat, NO ONE. I think you made that one up. No one is dis'n these "people", I'm questioning what I saw, and it's right there on the show. He shot his buck day 2, he was posing with the same non skinned deer on day 7 when Don shot his buck. Nothing made up there. Yup it was in a cooler but I certainly would have skinned the deer day 2.

bigtime, I agree...every aspect of venison process says NOT to age venny, beef yes, venison no.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Watching the rerun on right now and it is def gutted and they are in Alberta, I guess its cold up there.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

It should come to no surprise to them that they were booted off of their regular Buffalo County, Wisconsin farm this year. I'll be looking forward to their 2007 footage to see what they came up with in Wisconsin.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't like it, but the fact of the matter is that pros are just that, professional hunters. They make their living by hunting and collecting money from sponsors. They are there to sell product. Big racks sell product and two big racks together are even better. These folks are not doing what they are doing to put food in the freezer. Think about how many big bucks Lee and Tiffany take each year, and each one is well over 200 pounds. Can you imagine how much meat that would give them? Even if they ate venison for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, which if you watch the show you know they don't because Tiff doesn't do a whole lotta cooking, they still wouldn't be able to finish that much meat in a year between the two of them. They are hunting horns plain and simple to make their sponsors happy. If they get some meat out of the deal that's a bonus. The horns are their job and that is what this industry is about.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Well I might learn something, here. Don't age venison? What are you gonna do with the meat? If I were gonna grind it up for burger or make sausage out f it.....OK. But I like a few of the cuts to be prepared JUST the way I prepare my steaks.....and I want those cuts aged a bit. I've always done it this way (in the time I've been hunting), and it's been just fine. Am I taking an unneccesary step (Aging)?

Also....what's wrong with aging them with the skin on? Is there something that could happen to the meat with the skin on (At those temps)? Just trying to learn something, here.

If they didn't gut them, then, again....unchartered waters, for me. I don't know what happens to the meat when the entrails are left intact....but I don't KNOW, either (one way or the other.....and I'm not about to find out).
Old 10-21-2007, 08:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Excuse me? Did you watch the show? The facts speak for themselves. The deer was not skinned for several days. What's made up? No one said that taking time to take pictures is going to ruin the meat, NO ONE. I think you made that one up. No one is dis'n these "people", I'm questioning what I saw, and it's right there on the show. He shot his buck day 2, he was posing with the same non skinned deer on day 7 when Don shot his buck. Nothing made up there. Yup it was in a cooler but I certainly would have skinned the deer day 2.

bigtime, I agree...every aspect of venison process says NOT to age venny, beef yes, venison no.
Rob, did you miss the part where they said it was in the cooler? Not everyone skins their deer right away.....If the temps are right (or its in a cooler), I'll let mine hang for a week before I skin it.....and I won't skin it until I cut it up.

I saw absolutely nothing wrong with what they did in the show.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:47 PM
Spike

I will bet you any money they donate the meat they do not use......as for the rest of your diatribe ....wake up. do you work for nothing. Or is it because it is deer hunting and there is this mystical spirtual job that they should work for free.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:55 PM

I saw the show earlier and heard him say something about the flies and thought it was weird but when they lifted him off the truck and set him on the ground he was 100% positive field dressed. It was September so it was too hot to leave him out so my guess is they gutted him, put him in the cooler then took him out of the cooler the next day or day after, set him on the truck and measured his antlers, then put him back in the cooler. We put ours in a 35 degree cooler for a week with the hide still on em. So i was wondering the same thing at first but feel that they did nothing wrong here. 3 dandy bucks they killed in September i must say...
Old 10-21-2007, 09:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: _Dan

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Rob, did you miss the part where they said it was in the cooler? Not everyone skins their deer right away.....If the temps are right (or its in a cooler), I'll let mine hang for a week before I skin it.....and I won't skin it until I cut it up.

I saw absolutely nothing wrong with what they did in the show.
Saw the cooler part my friend but I also saw the flys on it, wasnt' that cool out. No big deal but 5 days with the skin on it. NOT me.

I skin mine ASAP. I might let it hang over night if cool enough without the skin to allow the meat to SET, not age necessarily. The meat cuts better when SET, butcher taught me that. Ever aspect of venison that I've learned, (not that I'm right) was to cool it immediately and that was with the skin off, it does that much faster.

I guess there is alot of misconceptions and practices with venison and not necessarily wrong, just different.

Quick Reply: gettin close show what the heck are they doing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.