Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Success in the Wind! (Kinda Long) >

Success in the Wind! (Kinda Long)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Success in the Wind! (Kinda Long)

Old 10-21-2007, 03:34 PM

Default Success in the Wind! (Kinda Long)

Last thursday and friday my school had fall break and for the past 3 years I have gone hunting. Wednesday night after classes I met my dad at the area we hunt. I helped him setup camp then I ventured out into the horrific winds. I got setup in an area my dad had seen a few small bucks on top or a ridge overlooking a hollow. After about an hour and a half i couldnt take the swaying anymore so i got down and did some still hunting for a little bit with no luck so i decided to call it a day. I went back to camp and my dad and I went and scouted a new area. We found a scrape and and some rubs, so we decided to try that spot out the following evening.
The next evening we headed out to that spot and my dad hunted the top of the ridge and i went down the ridge closer to private ground. After getting setup and swaying in the wind for another night i decided to text Mo Bowunter. I told him how nothing would prolly be moving in these winds and they were prolly bedded down. Shortly after i put the phone up i saw legs moving to me but it would be behind my stand if she continued my way. I had one shooting lane and and it only went about 20yrds and she went past my shooting lane in the thick stuff at about 23 yrds. I didnt get the shot but i knew she was heading toward my dad and maybe he would. This gave me some hope that the deer may move in these high winds.
After that i didnt see much til about 6:15 or so, when a spike chased two yearlings my way. One stopped at 20 yrds in front of me behind a branch and the other was to my left at about 15 yrds. I drew back and sent the slick trick on its way. I immediately saw the arrow deflect off a brach i hadnt seen and it hit the deer in the leg. The deer didnt know what happened and I quickly knocked another arrow and waited for a clear shot. I drew and shot it perfectly right were it needed to be. The deer ran no more than 30yrds and expired. As I said before this is my 3rd year hunting this 4 day weekend and I have taken a deer every time. It's not a monster by any means but the Guardian got it's first kill of the season.

Old 10-21-2007, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Success in the Wind! (Kinda Long)

Congrats!!!! But did you notice the bear in the picture behind you??
Old 10-21-2007, 03:42 PM
Spike

hey congrats on the two shot knockdown. Did your dad end up with anything?
Old 10-21-2007, 03:56 PM

Congrats man! She has one fat gut.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:11 PM

ORIGINAL: MartinMan09

hey congrats on the two shot knockdown. Did your dad end up with anything?
She worked her way up to him but never got closer than 59yrds.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Welcome to Club Nanny Whacker, congratulations.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:57 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats on your first with the Guardian!
Old 10-21-2007, 05:29 PM

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Welcome to Club Nanny Whacker, congratulations.
Actually Rob, I forgot to mention in the story it was a button. I thought it was a doe cuz the spike was chasing him but when i flipped him over it was definitely a buck. I guess it's close enough tho!
Old 10-21-2007, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Way to go MO, another MO guy scores. Congrats!!

The pace is really picking up now. And with the cooler weather coming this week all HE77 should be breaking loose.

Quick Reply: Success in the Wind! (Kinda Long)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.