Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 If you had a choice....help me decide fellas. >

If you had a choice....help me decide fellas.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

If you had a choice....help me decide fellas.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:11 PM
voz
Fork Horn

Default RE: If you had a choice....help me decide fellas.

I've never used Steiner optics but I own a pair of the monarchs and love them. After using the Nikons, I want to upgrade my rifle scopes (more $$$).
Old 10-20-2007, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ducsauce you should be ashamed for asking such a question! No brainer......give me the bino's and nothing else, who needs a new bow!
Old 10-20-2007, 07:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

ducky, im not sure about the predators but i have the steiner merlin, i love them for what i do. they were about $200.00 nice and compact.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:33 PM

why spend 500+ on binos?
if they are that far away then you shouldn't be thinking about shooting
just get a average pair they get the job done
Old 10-20-2007, 07:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I bought the Nikon Monarchs, about 3 years ago...Go with the 8x42s...Forget the Steiners, my brother has a pair, I don't care for them...The Monarchs are a great buy...
Old 10-20-2007, 08:03 PM

They are actually $850 pair.[:-] The sweetie bought them for me for Christmas. She was under the impression that is what I was looking for. I did a little investigative work and found out she got them.

I have also heard good things about the Monarchs. Just don't understand why anyone needs an $850 pair of binos but I thought I would ask.

Two presents are better than one, right?
Old 10-20-2007, 08:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Nikons and Bowtech/Diamond...no question!
Ditto. Steiner's are awesome, but not worth the money.....Especially for what you'll be using them for. The Monarch's are incredible, and then you get the new bow as well......What is there to even think about????
Old 10-20-2007, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Neither, get a pair of Vortex Diamondbacks and an even nicer bow.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:43 PM

One of my other hobbies is bird watching. For this hobby binoculars are everything. I have looked through and compared just about every pair out there from 100-2000 dollars. Personally, I do not like the Steiner’s.

Since you posted this question in the bowhunting forum, I’m assuming you are going to use these pretty much for bowhunting. The reason I’m asking is getting 8x42 will serve you much better. You simply do not need the extra power. The only time I could see getting 10x42 is if you do a lot of long range scanning for game, like gun hunting out west. Even then, I would opt for 8x42, but some might prefer the 10’s. You will also lose a lot of light with the 10x42. In the woods in low light situations, you will love the 8x42’s. The clarity of the better quality binoculars will far exceed the need for greater power.
Also if you ever shoot 3D, most the time you can not use more than 8 power binoculars.

The monarch’s are a nice pair. You will love them. They are what I recommend to anyone trying to spend as little as possible and still wanting a good pair. A lot of people will not be able to tell the difference in these and pairs much more expensive. If the budget allows a little more (around $350), the Leopold Olympics are what I would recommend if you are not going to spend over $1000.

If you can find a store that carries all these pairs, go and check them out. The most important thing is you are happy with the pair you get. If you have never looked though a good pair of binoculars, prepare to be wowed.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

Ask yourself how much better will the Steiners help you compared to the Nikons and a new bow.

Nikons and new bow

Quick Reply: If you had a choice....help me decide fellas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.