HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Shot a buck this morning.....Sad day, guys.... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/213043-shot-buck-morning-sad-day-guys.html)

barredrock 10-20-2007 09:05 AM

RE: Shot a buck this morning.....Sad day, guys....

i agree You did the ethical, professional, and moraly correct thing

Gut Check 10-20-2007 09:10 AM

I had to do the same thing to years ago but it was the right front. It was only a doe but irregardless it shouldn't matter how many buck tags you have access to this year. You did the right thing. Have no regrets...

keep your head up and get that venison in the freezer!

greenboy 10-20-2007 09:10 AM

you did the best you could for him was he hit by a car? anyways lets see some pics!

tkycaller 10-20-2007 09:17 AM

Nice job. I think a lot of people have had that same scenario. Some may have choosen to let him go, I would not. See ya soon.

Cougar Mag 10-20-2007 09:44 AM

Nothing wrong with that, I wouldn't feel bad at all. Sometimes QAM(quality antler management) takes a back seat. You made a split second decision so don't regret it. Hopefully you can buy another buck tag.;)

Side note: about 20 years ago I was after a past prime buck that was going strong on 3 legs! The sad thing is I couldn't get a shot at him. As stupid as it sounds I did a little test one day when he happened along soon after putting my bow in the truck. That 3 legged buck could still outrun about anything it wanted to:D.

Jeff K in IL 10-20-2007 09:49 AM

He would have lived fine I think, but putting a deer down because of injury is the right thing to do!;)

GMMAT 10-20-2007 10:09 AM

He was an otherwise really healthy looking youngster. Here's the photo of his left rear. You can't tell from the photo....but when you touch it you're touching bone.

valor10 10-20-2007 10:11 AM

GMMAT, deer are deer, and that means food, and racks are a bonus. That's it. Plain and simple.You're there to cull that heard, and that's what you're doing. Wounded, crippled deer should be taken. Yeah, I've heard the same stories about three legged 18 points, blah, blah, blah. I see wounded deer, they go down. The only ethical question to me is if it's a small wounded buck, and you have only one buck tag, whether or not to check it in. Your call. One other thing for you to think about. You've posted about some deer you've wounded, not recovered, the deer in the wire, and now this. This the kind of "cruelty" the anti's are looking for. Just something to think about Bro. I wouldn't post pictures of this stuff, but you sure have the right to do as you please.In the end, it's all about killing Bambi, obviously with the respect and dignity that the animals deserve, or not. Gun hunting with dogs can be slaughter, and there ain't much respect or dignity in that. Not my thing, but I support it. There hunters. But it's ALL still killing Bambi to the anti's.Happy hunting!

GMMAT 10-20-2007 10:18 AM

Valor...

First off....I don't think I had a thing to do with that deer getting caught in the fence. I've hit two deer this year that I didn't recover....and I had one of those questions answered, Thursday. The other deer....I can't say, for sure, but it's a little better than "some deer".

Secondly....I have two buck tags....but I'd tag him if I only had one.

What pictures wouldn't you post? The doe in the wire? I can respect your stance, but I disagree.

GR8atta2d 10-20-2007 10:22 AM

Hey well congrats on a good shot and clean kill! You did what you felt you had to do..no fault in that. I've seen many a deer on 3 legs and usually not an issue as far as mobility, if no infection sets in.
It was legally taken with obviously a well placed shot. Nothing to do now but get him cleaned up and put in the freezer!

Oh yeah..and scored for the contest! ;)