HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Shot a buck this morning.....Sad day, guys.... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/213043-shot-buck-morning-sad-day-guys.html)

GMMAT 10-20-2007 07:55 AM

Shot a buck this morning.....Sad day, guys....

I was going to go to the place where I shot my first deer, this morning, but the wind shifted on me, last night. Having nowhere to go and not take a big risk.....I decided to go to the woods I have access to, but have never hunted before (I posted on this a while back). I had marked a tree that I thought would be a good observation stand with some tacks....and I found it pretty easily, this morning. 9:10......the guys are working on the houses in the development above me......and I never hear this deer come in. When I turn to see it....I see it's a small buck, but he's favoring his rear left leg. I didn't know what to do. I shot him at 10yds. He went 30 and expired. When I get down.....his rear left is broken and hanging there. He's just a youngin. I'm sick.

I know I did the right thing (in my mind)....but this season has about taken its' toll on me. He had a sweet G1 on his right side for a baby. I'd love to have seen him, next year.

peakrut 10-20-2007 08:00 AM

RE: Shot a buck this morning.....Sad day, guys....

Jeff you did the right thing by putting him down. How many buck tags do you get down there?
Not that it should reflect this it was the right thing no matter what.
Yes you have been through a lot but you have our Full Support pal and get back out there now.

mauser06 10-20-2007 08:01 AM

Jeff, you did what most of us would have done...

must been kinda tough to see. but you did the right thing..

GMMAT 10-20-2007 08:04 AM

Only thing is I'm a bit torn. Would he have been OK? His leg is clearly broken...but I know they survive with that injury all the time. Can't speak for the quality of life, though.

It is what it is. He's dead. I've got some work to do. :(

mauser06 10-20-2007 08:14 AM

once you get the skin off(if you havent yet) you will see the damage that you cannot see from the outside.

its tough to say, but like you said...how much pain was he in? what if he didnt make it?? what if infection set in?? what if he bled to death? what if he made an easy meal for yotes??

yep, buddy...you did good.

was it a car accident??

aldo88 10-20-2007 08:15 AM

Dude this has been one heck ofa rough season for you. Yeah you did the right thing. Good meat and he doesnt have to suffer.

Matt/TN 10-20-2007 08:17 AM

pics?

No doubt Jeff, you have really seen lately how cruel nature can be. Keep you head up buddy, and keep on hunting.

Deleted User 10-20-2007 08:19 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Schultzy 10-20-2007 08:27 AM

You did the right thing ethicly Jeff! During or after gun season in my area i usually see 2 to 3 deer the gunners screwed up on and i try my best to take one of them with the bowinstead of a non wounded deer, it kinda sucks when i can only get one tag here but like i said its the ethicly thing to do! I say good job on your part!

peakrut 10-20-2007 08:47 AM

You just reminded me of something that happened in 1984. Back then when you deer hunted you had to have a hunter choice permit or you could only shoot a buck here in Wi. Well we were doing a deer drive and a Doe came out and you clearly tell she had been shot in the mouth. I did not have a hunters choice permit and the hunting party told me to shoot only a big doe. This was not a very big doe but after the drive was complete my father told me I probably should of shot her. Which now I totally agree but back then I was more about safety and following the game rules and did not know any better at the age of 18. So many things crossed my mind at that moment and actually froze up. Still kind of haunts me to this day.