Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Proud to eat buck tag soup? >

Proud to eat buck tag soup?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Proud to eat buck tag soup?

Old 10-19-2007, 11:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Proud to eat buck tag soup?

I think the mentality of a lot of hunters has changed from what I've heard about in the past. Isn't the next best thing to getting "your" buck......realizing that you had the discilpline not to take one that didn't meet your standards?

"Your" buck is relative.....and personal. I relaize that.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:53 AM

Default RE: Proud to eat buck tag soup?

I always get a kick out of the saying "Don't pass up on the first day what you'd shoot on the last day." My personal motto is "I won't shoot on the last daywhat I'd pass up on the first day."

I have no problem eating buck tag soup.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Taste great with mash tators and corn
Old 10-19-2007, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yepper. I'm proud. Last year was the first year I have taken a buck since 2001 with any weapon. I've passed literally dozens of 1.5 to 2.5 year olds and not had ethical shot opportunities on a small handful of 3.5's too since 2001. I do sometimes wish I would have let that 6 point walk last year that I shot just to see what he'd look like this year, but it was a VERY memorable hunt and I was proud to take him.

I'm planning on eating my buck tag this year. Anything else will just be a bonus on top of the great time this will allow me to spend in the woods.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

yep, i ate tag soup last season after passing very many bucks, but i still want one anyway [&:]
Old 10-19-2007, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was there last year Jeff... Killed 0 ... but on the last day of late archery....as I walked out of the woods and had passed on a smaller 4x5 that morningand then had a big buck..(which could have easily been the buck I just killed) snort at me at dark... I just walked out smiling when he did that.......thinking.... You got me this year...I'll work harder and do all I can to be better prepared next year...

here a lot of guys are starting to hold out on bucks and I think we are seeing more young bucks make it to 3.5... I dont mind that.. a bit..
Old 10-19-2007, 12:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am not usually placed in this situation. The SGL that I typically frequent usually gives me some early opportunities at average to small bucks early in the season and then next to nothing by the time the end of the season rolls around.

I ate buck tag soup last year but this year I have land to hunt with higher BBP (Big Buck Potential)....

I passed on two small buck so far this year. We will have to wait and see what the rest of the season holds.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Troy....

I was thinking of you SPECIFICALLY when I wrote this.

Congrats, again.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

To be honest, I am never "proud" to not fill a tag. It happens, but I am never happy about it. If I can't kill a 3.5 year old or older buck, then I had some things not go my way. Of course that makes me a little disappointed to say the least.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

i got 6 days left before i eat buck tag soup. then spend another 28 dollars to buy a new buck tag for extended season. along with a 28 dollar extended season permit.

i've passed up 3 bucks so far. next year they'll be nicer.

Quick Reply: Proud to eat buck tag soup?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.