Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Beginner Bowhunter >

Beginner Bowhunter

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Beginner Bowhunter

Old 10-16-2007, 11:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default Beginner Bowhunter

Hey guys, to put it plain and simple, I'm a newbie at the whole bow hunting thing. I'm 19 and my dad, who I learn all of my "hunting stuff" fromhas never shot a bow and I don't really know of many people that I can talk to to learn about it.

I've got an old hand-me-down bow from my uncle, and since I've never been properly taught before, I'm just kinda trying to do the best I can by self-teaching myself from reading these forum posts about other people's form.

So my reason for posting this is this:

A) If you had to give the three main keys to shooting and being accurate/consistent, what would they be?

B) When you were learning, what was the most helpful advice that somebody gave you?

Like I said, I'm pretty muching teaching myself, and so ANY help is appreciated, I know many of you are amazing shooters that I hope to shoot like someday, so thanks for reading, and like I said, I appreciate it!
Old 10-17-2007, 12:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Beginner Bowhunter

ORIGINAL: englum_06

Hey guys, to put it plain and simple, I'm a newbie at the whole bow hunting thing. I'm 19 and my dad, who I learn all of my "hunting stuff" fromhas never shot a bow and I don't really know of many people that I can talk to to learn about it.

I've got an old hand-me-down bow from my uncle, and since I've never been properly taught before, I'm just kinda trying to do the best I can by self-teaching myself from reading these forum posts about other people's form.

A) If you had to give the three main keys to shooting and being accurate/consistent, what would they be?

B) When you were learning, what was the most helpful advice that somebody gave you?

Like I said, I'm pretty muching teaching myself, and so ANY help is appreciated, I know many of you are amazing shooters that I hope to shoot like someday, so thanks for reading, and like I said, I appreciate it!
WELCOME!!!

I am no expert by any means, but if I were to tell you anything it would be shoot in the same form everytime, by this I mean find your ancor point and pull to that point everytime. Another thing is to follow through, don't drop your bow arm to look for the arrow. And lastly, don't keep shooting when your arm is tired and you start shaking, if you do you will develop bad habits. Also, for the first dozen times or so shooting, stay 30 yards or closer, getform and confidence built up a bit. Where are you located by the way? Maybe there is a good bow shop close by that can help you out more.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:00 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: solocamcan

Hey thanks for the reply. I'm located in Paris, IL. I noticed you're from East Central, IL too-- any chance you're from Paris as well?

In case you're not, there's a pretty decent bow shop I've been going to called the Outback Archery. I go in there with my dad since the guy who owns it and my dad are friends. The only problem with going in there lately is that I need to go in when the owner is there which can be hard because he get's busy during Harvest Season.
WELCOME!!!

I am no expert by any means, but if I were to tell you anything it would be shoot in the same form everytime, by this I mean find your ancor point and pull to that point everytime. Another thing is to follow through, don't drop your bow arm to look for the arrow. And lastly, don't keep shooting when your arm is tired and you start shaking, if you do you will develop bad habits. Also, for the first dozen times or so shooting, stay 30 yards or closer, getform and confidence built up a bit. Where are you located by the way? Maybe there is a good bow shop close by that can help you out more.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:02 AM
Typical Buck

Hey thanks for the reply. I'm located in Paris, IL. I noticed you're from East Central, IL too-- any chance you're from Paris as well?

In case you're not, there's a pretty decent bow shop I've been going to called the Outback Archery. I go in there with my dad since the guy who owns it and my dad are friends. The only problem with going in there lately is that I need to go in when the owner is there which can be hard because he get's busy during Harvest Season.

Sorry, don't know what I did wrong on that first one.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:11 AM
Fork Horn

like he said do the same thing everytime and i personally go through a kind of check point system each time i shoot, 1. kisser button in place 2. steady on target 3. deep breath 4. slowly squeeze my release as i let the breath out and let it suprise me, never anticipate when you will release or when ur release will fire because it leads to jerking, it is honestly much like shooting a rifle, the most difficult thing in my mind when shooting at game is stayng calm for me anyway, and just practice until ur good, good luck bud hope this helps
Old 10-17-2007, 02:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

You still online?
Old 10-17-2007, 02:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I actually live in Urbana, not to far from you. I have a few friends that are from Paris though. And I have a place to hunt right outside of Paris and another about 5 miles North of Mill Creek.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:37 AM
Typical Buck

ok, I'll actually be in Champaign this weekend for the IL/Michigan game.

Thanks guys for the help. Once I get a new bow I might have to post a picture and let everybody tell me what they see needs work on my form.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome! You have no idea what you're getting yourself into. If you're like most of us, you'll soonbe eating, drinking, and sleeping bowhunting. It's way too addictive. Are you sure you want to go there? Just kidding

As far as shooting, a couple things helped me more than anything.

1. Consistency. You must have the same grip, same anchor points, and same follow through every shot. Try to have at least 2 or 3 anchor points. I put my knucle under my ear, the string on the tip of my nose, and the kisser button on my lip. Start out using a kisser AND a peep sight to promote consistent anchor.

2. Shoot with both eyes open. I can't believe it took me so long to figure this one out. You'll have better balance, you'll be more steady, and you'll be able to see your target better.

3. Don't punch the trigger. Slowly squeeze until it goes off. You should be focused on the spot. Don't think about the trigger. It should suprise you when the bow goes off. Just keep focused on the spot you want to hit.

4. If I had it to do over again, I would have learned with a T handle thumb trigger release instead of a wrist strap index finger release. I think T handles are better for hunting because your release is always on your string and both hands are free. Now it's gonna be hard for me to switch.

5.Make sure your bow fits you. Go to a shop and havethem measure your Draw length. And don't think you have toshoot 70 lbs tokill deer.45 is plenty.

Most importantly, when it's time to hunt, keep your shots to 25 yards or less the first year. 15 yards is ideal. And wait for broadside or slight quartering away. Good luck.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:06 PM

Hi englum! Welcome to the obsession!!

Take the time to learn how to shoot properly and consistently now. Don't be in too much of a hurry to be shooting far or worrying about accuracy. It is WAY easier to learn it right the first time than it is to unlearn bad habits. (Ask me how I know! )

If you can get some instruction and feedback from somebody who knows what they are doing, it will help - a lot.

Here are some DVDs that may help:
[blockquote]
Archery DVDs
Bowhunting DVDs
DVDs for Beginning Hunters
[/blockquote]

-- FLIX