Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What are some UNSAFE actions to learn by? >

What are some UNSAFE actions to learn by?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What are some UNSAFE actions to learn by?

Old 10-16-2007, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What are some UNSAFE actions to learn by?

What are some things you have done hunting, that were unsafe, be honest people may be able to learn from your mistakes.

Ill go first and be 100% honest. It was muzleload season about 3-4yr ago i was bout 15, and i was hunting as usual and i see 3 deer trotting through the field less that 100yrds from me, i figured they spotted me, then right beside of the i see more movement through the trees, so i raise my gun to look throuh my scope to see what it is. NEVER touched the hammer, just simply looking, b/c i had no binocs. then i here a voice! "Dont point your gun over here!" oh MAN my heart sank i felt so bad. There have never been other hunters down there i didnt know about nor since then but thats not the point. NEVER use scope as binocs, I sit today and still think about how i made that guy feel even though he wasnt mad at all, i woulda been. Just a reminder guys. NEXT....
Old 10-16-2007, 08:19 PM

Default RE: What are some UNSAFE actions to learn by?

In the three times I hunting I was pretty safe. I wear my safty harness for my GF so yeah.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'll post one up, pretty stupid, and it's the only reason I could think of for young hunters not to use a 30-30

I used an old 30-30 my first 2 years hunting, and I used it on my first deer. I was roughly 11-12 years old. I had just shot my BB, and you know when you eject the cartridge, how it automatically presses down the hammer on all Lever guns. Well I shot and went to put it on safe and let the hammer up. I was so tore up I wasn't thinking and instead of putting my thumb on the hammer and pulling the trigger, I pulled the trigger first. Thank God, I was pointing it away from myself, it scared me SOOO bad. I couldn't even manage to climb down out of my ladder stand for a good 20-30minutes. I still remember it like it was yesterday and I wish I didn't.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:55 PM
Fork Horn

I once got in my climber with my backpack on, big mistake. I had my climber set about 3 1/2 feet from the bottom of a tree because the tree was bowed real bad at the bottom. I usually pull my pack up with a cord or attach it to the climber base. Well, for some reason I didn't and I climbed up into the stand, wedged my feet in the platform. I didn't even have my harness on yetThen as I was about to climb, the top caught my pack and pulled me backwards. Next thing I know my face hit the ground, and my right foot, still wedged in the platform twisted at a bad angle, it felt like a permently sprained ankle. Because my foot was higher off the ground than usuall, I had a heck of a time getting out. After about 20 minutes of panicing, I calmed down and worked my foot out, twisting it out. I had severe bruises on my knee and leg and ankle was bruised and very sore for several weeks. I'm very lucky it wasn't worse and I feel like I was being watched over that day.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:01 PM
Typical Buck

THis didnt happend to me but i was with my brother when it did happen. We were out squirrel hunting a few years back and he .22 jammed up. As he was trying to unjam it, the gun went off. We both looked at each other and i said " you ment to shoot that off right?" all he said was "holy s*** we are lucky"
Old 10-16-2007, 09:26 PM
Typical Buck

My first deer I got, I shot with a 20 ga. Winchester. Being 13 years old at the time I was pumped when I shot the deer. NOT thinking, I had chambered another shell and was actually running towards the down deer due to the excitement. Well half way to him, I trip, barrel goes into the ground, gun goes off. The first 2 inches of the barrel mushroomed back.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:54 PM

this is really stupid but, last year while hunting geese i had to pee real bad so i ran to the edge of the feild which has a fence all the way around it because the farmer has cows. well i felt a sharp pain and jumped back to realize i had actually done it, i dont know if i was dropped on my head a lot as a child but i actually pee'd on an elctric fence. it didnt hurt real bad, just enough to scare the piss out of you ...
Old 10-16-2007, 10:02 PM

This didn't happen to me, it was "taught" to me by a hunting buddy who confesses that it did happen to him: Always tie the foot portion of your climber to the seat portion. He was jacking himself up about 40 feet in a pine tree and decided he was high enough. He stepped off the foot portion on to the standing part of the seat portion when the foot portion went sliding down the side of the tree. He said it slid down almost all the way to the ground. He said he might as well make the best of it so he hunted for a few hours; then decided he'd better do something to try and get himself down. He used the string he used to hoist up his gun (which was only 25 feet) tied to one end of his rifle sling for an added 3 feet and found something small enough to tie to the end of the string (one of his bullets) that he could fish down into one of the mesh openings in the foot portion. He had to basically sit on the standing portion of the seat; hang on for dear life; and hang down about 2-3 feet below the bottom of the seat portion of the stand in order for the string to reach the foot portion. He finally fished it in and was able to hoist his foot portion back up, but it took him about 30-45 minutes to do so and almost fell out of the stand 2 or 3 times doing so as well. The gotcha to the story is: he was hunting alone that weekend and had he fallen or couldn't reach the foot portion, he could have sat up there for a week or two. Morals of the story: Always remember to tie the foot portion of your climber to the seat portion, never climb higher than your hoist string will reach, ALWAYS wear a safety harness, always hunt with a buddy who knows where you are and what time you are expected back in, and finally, stay out of tree stands if you're hunting alone. At least, those are the lessons I learned from him.

Cheers!
MadOtis
Old 10-17-2007, 12:05 AM
Fork Horn

ALWAYS WATCH THAT MUZZLE!! Keep it pointed in a safe direction, and even though you may screw up, majorly, in some other way, it could save your life (as it did mine). I was 17 years old, using a sidelock Hawken muzzleloader 50 cal. I had been sitting on the ground all morning, and decided to head back to camp for lunch. Stood up, grabbed the gun by the barrell. The gun had been sitting with the butt on the ground, and the barrell leaning against a tree. Thank God I had enough sense not to let the muzzle point toward me, as I pulled the gun up toward me by the barrell, the hammer snagged on a green brier. BOOM!! The round went past my head by about a foot, and I sat back down and said an Our Father and a Hail Mary, and was thankful to be alive. Also, be careful with grandpa's old lever action. My pappy had a Mod 94 in 32 special that, when the hammer was on half-cock (safety), if you pulled the trigger, it would still go off! That baby has been retired.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:46 AM
Bartender

I had pretty much the same thing where I had my 30-30 pointed in a safe direction (A Ditch) and we were about to make a deer drive and I had the hammer slip and it went off. The group was pretty supportive because I used caution by pointing it like I did away from everyone.
ORIGINAL: Cougars09

I'll post one up, pretty stupid, and it's the only reason I could think of for young hunters not to use a 30-30

I used an old 30-30 my first 2 years hunting, and I used it on my first deer. I was roughly 11-12 years old. I had just shot my BB, and you know when you eject the cartridge, how it automatically presses down the hammer on all Lever guns. Well I shot and went to put it on safe and let the hammer up. I was so tore up I wasn't thinking and instead of putting my thumb on the hammer and pulling the trigger, I pulled the trigger first. Thank God, I was pointing it away from myself, it scared me SOOO bad. I couldn't even manage to climb down out of my ladder stand for a good 20-30minutes. I still remember it like it was yesterday and I wish I didn't.

Quick Reply: What are some UNSAFE actions to learn by?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.