Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Dontcha think it ought to be mandatory? >

Dontcha think it ought to be mandatory?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Dontcha think it ought to be mandatory?

Old 10-17-2007, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Dontcha think it ought to be mandatory?

For me, I will NEVER send mine out to be butchered ...... I simply do not trust them.... I want my deer meat, not someone elses... I have seen too many ripoffs out there .... it's easy enough to do it, though time consuming ..... now if I killed as many as Jeff does, and donated them, I might ....... I dunno

We make cutting them up a fun time ..... we eat and cut and eat and cut .....
Old 10-17-2007, 10:13 AM

for us there is a lack of time for the most part to do the butchering ourselves especially when its early season bowhunting and its warm. we field dress them, then take them to a local guy who skins and cuts em up into boneless or steaks or w/e from there we can take it to the butcher and get sticks or w/e we want
Old 10-17-2007, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have cut my own for yrs. I also cut for other people. So far this yr I have done 6. I don't charge much either..... $35per animal cut and wrapped. I also provide skinning services to my clients. I don't charge any extra. What I found was that if the client skinned it there is hair every where. Then I get complaints from the same guy a little later'why didn't you clean it off'? I tell them if you don't know what your doing and are gonna make a mess then just bring it here and I'll do it...... sit, watch and learn. Most of my clients are friends or acquintences(sp).
One guy brings his son over (we also hunt together) and I show his son how to do things. I'm not really into teaching teens b/c they always think they know everything but this young fella is pretty good about it.
As for gutting...... I don't gut deer for people unless I'm in the field. I learned from experience. I had a guy bring over a decent 4x4 buck that he had killed. SAD..... he didn't guy it and packed it in snow. Well what he forgot was that snow is an insulator and the damn thing stunk.[:'(] [>:]I was pissed...... to say the least.What a waste. My first recomendation was that he stop hunting until he became more responsible.... second was 'THIS MEAT ISN"T ANY GOOD' don't eat it. He paid me for my time and was out the door, didn't even take the rack. He didn't like the fee with no meat but I told him. Time is money...... you took my time to bring your garbage here for me to deal w/ and now I have to dispose of this rotting corpse. I made a set of rattling antlers for the young fella that likes to learn things
Some things are just part of the hunt and gutting/field dressing is one of them. GET OVER IT!, suck it up buttercup!
Old 10-17-2007, 11:17 AM
Dominant Buck

I always want to be sure andget my own meat back. To insure that, I field dress where they drop. I then take it home and hang it in the garage. I skin, debone while it's hanging and have it in the fridge in probably no more than an hour. After 2-4 days of aging on some absorbsion sheets,I cut it into the right cuts and vacuum pack it and into the freezer. I have when in a tight deboned in the woods.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

A friend of mine belongs to a club down in GA where the practice extremely STRICT QDM. After they field dress their deer, they have to place the guts in a garbage bag and take that with them too. Why?? Because they are in an area they believe to be overrun with coyotes and this method (in their mind) gives less incentive for coyotes to regularly patrol their land. Seems logical, if perhaps paranoid[&:]
Old 10-17-2007, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I killed my first deer 2 years ago at the age of 16 and gut it, skun it, and butchered it by myself. Its not that hard plus it gives me the feeling of satisfaction if i do it all by myself, including eatting it!
Old 10-17-2007, 03:20 PM
Typical Buck

LOL!!! Perhaps your processor thinks you're a "special needs" hunter that needs all the help you can get. He doesn't tie your shoes for you too (without additional charge), does he??
Once again, your words speak volumes of what kind of person you are.

I just think it takes away from the dead weight you have to fool with and to me it does add to the experience as much as anything that is neccesary to be an effective hunter.

Not to mention that I personally would consider it RUDE behavior to drop off a deer to a processor or anyone, that has not been gutted.

Many times growing up, my friends and I would kill squirrels and rabbits while out hunting and then decide for one reason or another that nobody really wanted them. So we would take them to somebody's house (usually someone of very modest income) that we knew would appreciate them.

However, even though this meat could be considered a gift (for which, technically they should have been grateful for, no matter what), we would have never have been so rude to drop off the animals unless they had been properly cleaned. Just the way I was reared.

It has something to do with respecting the animal as well, as others have mentioned.
Scoop and lift, innards don't weigh a ton. Why is it disrespectful to the animal to not field dress it? And if the processor says "You're bringing me business, I don't complain about it" there's no rudeness involved. As far as giving meat away to another, we do that with fish all of the time. And no, we don't clean them. Those I know are happy just to get what you give them, those who complain about them not being cleaned are those who are considered rude. Ever heard the expression "Never look a gift horse in the mouth?"

I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, still, it is the way I feel and I'm just being honest. One thing I guarantee is that many on here if they are experienced hunters,whether they will express their opinion so directly or not, would, if they saw an anonymoushunter driving down the road with a dead and UNGUTTED deer in the back of his truck, generally remark "look at that idiot who hasn't even gutted his deer" to their companions.

Of course it is different if your processor has alterior motives for WANTING the guts or, like I said their are other special and unusual circumstances.
I was being honestalso.And I guarantee you that if you made a remark like you did to anyone in my neck of the woods, worrying about whether or not they field dress their deer would be the least of your problems. They'd have 15 or so Z-71s and a heap of rednecks around you in a heartbeat.

Just worry about yourself, not about what others do and how they do it. I have my opinions on shooting deer with a high power scope and rifle, but I choose not to call those who do names. Isn't there something more productive about hunting you can focus your efforts toward like helping others?
Old 10-17-2007, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

And I guarantee you that if you made a remark like you did to anyone in my neck of the woods, worrying about whether or not they field dress their deer would be the least of your problems. They'd have 15 or so Z-71s and a heap of rednecks around you in a heartbeat
LOL!!!

I see. No one in "your neck of the woods" field dress their deer eh?? So they would all be offended.

If that is true, those guys aren't rednecks because I am one and I can tell you rednecks (country boys) can survive...and we can skin a buck...isn't that how the song goes??

the song doesn't say.."and we can take the buck to the deer processor and don't even have to gut it because the guy needs the business"

I'm sure some other hunter would be glad to teach you if you don't know how.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Beezer

I was being honestalso.And I guarantee you that if you made a remark like you did to anyone in my neck of the woods, worrying about whether or not they field dress their deer would be the least of your problems. They'd have 15 or so Z-71s and a heap of rednecks around you in a heartbeat.
Where do you live? Sounds just like my neck a the woods.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you do not butcher it yourself why should the other part be madatory?
That's where I got confused. It should be mandatory to field dress and skin, but the time consuming part is ok to pay someone and let them do it?[:-] Whatever is convenient I guess.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.