Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Buck found after " Being Gut Shot" >

Buck found after " Being Gut Shot"

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Buck found after " Being Gut Shot"

Old 10-16-2007, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Buck found after " Being Gut Shot"

Thanks to HNIthread what to do after the shot. and a great thanks to who i don`t remember that sead to read the book "Trailing Wounded deer by John Trout" This book is with out a doubt a must for any hunter,
Sunday morning i was sitting in my summitt stand that was on the edge of a small field. I had been watching deer all morning doe`s mostly.
When at around 10:30am i cought a glimps of a buck moving in my direction,
At first i thought of not to even shoot this buckbut after watching him get closer and closer i decided that i wanted him, I stood up as the buck was starting to move behind my stand, I made a small grunting sound with my voice to stop him.

Well he stopped alright but was right on the edge of a big thicket one more step and it was over he would be gone, At 30 yrds
I took aim and just as irelease the arrowhe stepped,[:'(] The arrow hit right through his gut ( I sead under my breath Ho! No!)
He jumped and ran for about 20yrds and then just stood there for a second then just walked off,
I knew not to tail him right away, So i climb down walked over to where i shot him and sure nuff there was my arrow with the old green stuff and blood mixed.
I was shooting a rocky mt sniper broadhead and these things Really cut a whole!
I left the woods and went back home which was about 30miles away,
(The book that i had bought by john trout Trailing wounded deer)keeped running through my head on what to do and what to expect about the shot? He sead in this book that if you leave and do not start trailing right away that the deer will most often bed down and die within 10-150yrds from where the shot was made this i aleady knew but it helps to be "reassured"I became more confident that i could find this Buck!

After waiting for over 6hrs, I returned to the area to where i made thisshot and begain to pick up the trail, But the blood had dried and i could not hardly find any sign at all only Fresh tracks that he left as he walked away.
After i don`t mind saying so I prayed very hard for a littlehelp on finding this buck that i knew would die,

I walked about 50yrds and lost any and every sign of this deer, So i just keepedthinking that this deer would most likely be another 100 yrds or so? I begain to walkthe way i last saw him after and about 20yrds ikneeled down and looked as far i could see? (There was my buck about 40yrds up the tail and a hole right through the gut).
Thanks again to HNI What to do after the shot, And the book Trailing wounded deer by John trout.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Buck found after " Being Gut Shot"

nice buck... congrats...

Old 10-16-2007, 08:37 AM
Typical Buck

Great recovery. Way to go.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:37 AM
Typical Buck

Good job bud, very cool
Old 10-16-2007, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RTA47

and a great thanks to who i don`t remember that sead to read the book "Trailing Wounded deer by John Trout" This book is with out a doubt a must for any hunter,
That would be BobCo19-65. That is an excellent book!
Old 10-16-2007, 08:38 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-16-2007, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nice job....

10:30 AM... huh... You always sit that late this early in the season?

Congrats.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats on findin him!
Old 10-16-2007, 08:44 AM
bigcountry

Some time ago, I made the exact same shot. I don't know how it happened as it was only 20 yards. So like you I planned to let it sit for 4-5 hours. Well, then it started sprinkling. I didn't have a choice but to push the animal. I jumped him up 4 times. The rain was slowly washing away the blood. I gave up once but got a smell of gut, and went that direction. After 6-7 hours and over 1mile of tracking, the deer and I was both spent. I got within 20 yards and put another arrow in him, and finally recovered.

I am glad you got to him and recovered. Nice buck.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Your recovery has everything to do with your determination on what you did immediately following the shot. You made the right decision and your proudly photographed with a great buck. Great going and congratulations to you.

BobCo recommends the book by John Trout and although I have not read it, I intend to very seriously. I have read "Tracking Dogs for Finding Wounded Game" by John Jeanenney out of NY. It's also a very good read on wounded animals.

Congratulations and that's inspiring and shows that if people do the right thing, a bad shot can be a great recovery.

Kudos and congratulations. Now get'em scored so we can get him in the Score thread. Way to go.

Quick Reply: Buck found after " Being Gut Shot"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.