Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

quick question

Old 10-16-2007, 07:39 AM

Default quick question

has the pre rut started by anyone else ??
Old 10-16-2007, 07:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: quick question

Quick answer.....Yes.

Quick Follow up question, "Define what you think is the Pre-rut?"

The pre-rut is everything from the antlers hardening to the velvet falling off to the early aggression of the bucks. This has nothing to do with the actual Rut which is when the does come into estrous. If that is what you are asking, then yes the prerut is happening, has since Sept.

Now, the chase phase of the rut is NOT HAPPENING at least not in PA in my neck of the woods, it won't be the CHASE PHASE for another 2 weeks. The doe I shot still had her button buck fawns with her. Do your does still have their male fawns?

When a doe nears her estrous cycle, she'll run off her male fawns, her tarsal glands will darken as she'll take to pissing on them much like the bucks do. The doe I shot had white tarsals.

Regardless of a buck dogging a doe a little prematurely, the "RUT" is still a couple weeks off however the activity will increase daily as the bucks are very anxious and you should continue to see more and more daylight activity by better bucks.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:10 AM
Dominant Buck

Do your does still have their male fawns?
I question this as an exact science, as well. I've seen BB's with does all the way through the season.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Here in Texas, its quiet. The doe I shot Sunday had started peeing on her tarsal puffs. Bucks are just starting to make scrapes and still moving at night. Its around the corner here. Prerut, yea. Active rut and chase phase, no.