Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Will we have an early rut? >

Will we have an early rut?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Will we have an early rut?

Old 10-15-2007, 04:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default Will we have an early rut?

Ive heard a few people say were in for an early rut. What are your thoughts? According to the lunar theory and rut starting around a full moon I think, the rut would then start mid-late next week. But if you go by the photoperiodism theory, the rut wont start until late first to early second week of November. And if you dont think there will be an early rut, do you think that rattling would be effective next weekend? Im sure by then they should be fighting for dominance, territory, ect. and some does' should begin estrus, correct?
Old 10-15-2007, 05:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Will we have an early rut?

Charles Alsheimer claims it (the seek phase) will start 3 days following the 2nd full moon in the Autum Equinox...isn't that late next week...the full moon is Oct 26th right? So 3 days later, the 29th things really should be picking up...which isn't surprising, I always see activity pick up around Halloween.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I found my first scrape line this weekend.Very young buck but he is working it hard.

I have found a few scrapes here or there but this was the first true scrape line that seems to be getting worked.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:11 PM
Fork Horn

full moon is next wednesday or thursday, so then things would pick up sat. or sun. right rob
Old 10-15-2007, 05:12 PM
Typical Buck

[/align]
[blockquote]
ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Charles Alsheimer claims it (the seek phase) will start 3 days following the 2nd full moon in the Autum Equinox...isn't that late next week...the full moon is Oct 26th right? So 3 days later, the 29th things really should be picking up...which isn't surprising, I always see activity pick up around Halloween.
Did he have a book? "Whitetail The Ultimate Challenge" ? If he did; I read it when I first got interested in hunting.[/blockquote]
Old 10-15-2007, 05:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

TFOX, of course the bucks are ready, hell wouldn't you be. But the does are far off. Watch the tarsal glands. The doe I shot Saturday still had her button fawn with her and her tarsals were snow white....the does determind the rut, the bucks do not.

Guys, start watching the tarsal glands of the does, bucks too. The more rutty, the blacker the tarsals. The whiter the tarsals, no rut activity...even the buck I saw on Saturday only had slightly dark tarsals, he wasn't pumped yet.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know bass, but will know better after this weekend. I am seeing more and more daytime activity. My trailcams are catching movement later and later in the morning. The does tarsal glands are getting dark in the photos too. I too have heard from several experienced deer hunters that we'll have an early rut this year. I kinda hope so myself, I have to teach a joint forces course the first 10 days of November. Sucks to be me until I retire in May of next year.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

Rob, I have noticed on trail cam pics in April where the tarsal gland is very dark. Do they lighten back up when they begin toput ontheirwinter coats?
Old 10-15-2007, 05:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

The rut starts the same time every year, it has to do with the amount sunlight decreasing.

Why the Drury's love to hunt Nov 8th. Now the amount of does coming into heat varies in areas. Mut right around Nov 14th and 15th is the peak.

If I were to use my stats it would be 28th or 29th of Oct. I have shot 3 of my biggest buckson those days. Each time a doe was in heat early. Your best bet is to be in a tree and hope a doe comes into heat early
Old 10-15-2007, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

If that holds true, I'm in good shape. The next time I get home to hunt is Nov. 3rd. By then my stand will have had 3 weeks of no pressure [:-]. With a little luck we'll have a cold snap too,to get things really moving.

Quick Reply: Will we have an early rut?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.