Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Deer hit, tracking suggestions. Update, NOT GOOD >

Deer hit, tracking suggestions. Update, NOT GOOD

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer hit, tracking suggestions. Update, NOT GOOD

Old 10-15-2007, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Deer hit, tracking suggestions. Update, NOT GOOD

Ok guys, I shot an 8 point. arrow hit high and a bit farther back than I wanted. The arrow buried to the fletching angling down toward the vitals. I am guessing guts, liver, one lung. How long should I wait to go after him? Hopefully I can bring one home for team 5

Shane
Old 10-15-2007, 04:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Deer hit, tracking suggestions.

3-4 hours minimal. If you caught the femoral artery, he's probably dead already however if it's strictly guys/liver and a lung, you need at least 2 and I'd wait more.

If this were me, I would head out in exactly 4 hours past the time of impact on what you describe.

Good luck.

Did you look at all yet or shoot and back out?
Old 10-15-2007, 04:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

i cant give a time based on that guess.

is it cold? cold enough you dont need to rush?? no wolves or anything serious in the area?? id give him 4hrs or so personally. he may dropped just outta sight...but you dont know. if theres no reason to push things, i wouldnt. play it safe. if hes dead he cant go anywhere. if i had to rush things, id still give him 2hrs and go see what the first 50yds of the trail tells me...

since you dont know, its hard to say. if it was solid guts, he may not die till midnight or later. if its what you say, he aint going to last all too long maybe and hour or 2.

good luck. your decision. look at some diagrams and play the shot over in your head. try to figure out what you hit. hope to see your post in the morning or later on!!
Old 10-15-2007, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Rob, kind of what I was thinking. Going out around 11 -12 tonight. That will be a solid 4-5 hours. I saw the arrow sticking out, and where it hit and backed out. Did not even bother looking. I am worried about the blood trail, don't think it was a pass through, but the length of the arrow is buried in the deer up to the fletchings.

Shane
Old 10-15-2007, 06:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you have one, take a Coleman lantern, they seem to make the blood glow...
Good Luck, take your time with the tracking job...Also, take buddy to put pieces of toilet paper down to keep up with the trail...
Old 10-15-2007, 06:16 PM

i say 8 hours if it was a liver shot, dont rush it
Old 10-15-2007, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Barred Rock.....I shot my deer and all i hit was liver and possibly an artery......i heard the buck crash in less than 10 seconds and went and got him in 10 minutes......

GOOD LUCK MAN!!!!
Team 5 is proud of ya!!!
Old 10-15-2007, 06:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

sr77, was he quartered away? Your arrow angled forward through the animal? You should find him, remember, don't give up....Good luck.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:40 PM

There are exceptions to the rule. When an arrow severs an artery, the animal bleeds profusely and goes down quickly. Otherwise, i would wait awhile before chasing a liver shot deer down. been there done that. by all means i hope he can find him. persistence will pay off
Old 10-15-2007, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

id wait 4-5 hrs min. But if it will get cool tonight id wait till morn if it doesent rain.

Quick Reply: Deer hit, tracking suggestions. Update, NOT GOOD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.