Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Deer hit, tracking suggestions. Update, NOT GOOD >

Deer hit, tracking suggestions. Update, NOT GOOD

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer hit, tracking suggestions. Update, NOT GOOD

Old 10-18-2007, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer hit, tracking suggestions.

Don't beat yourself up too bad. This has happened to almost all of us. You obviously have put in a enormous effort to find the animal. Take a couple days off and maybe check later. If he is dead he should be smelling pretty ripe by then.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: sr77

We went through everything again yesterday. We combed every thicket. went back over the blood trail. We found nothing. Circled back, went everywhere this deer might have gone to no avail. I guess at this point I hope someone found him and took him. This has been a long 3 days. Obviously could have been a better shot angle and that is my fault, big learning experience on this deer. Going to take a break for the remainder of the week and go out next week again. I feel terrible about this, this buck deserved more than to crawl into some thicket god knows where and die, or lay there wounded(even though I don't think that is the case at all based on the sign). Thanks again for all the support and advice. I followed all of it and tried evrything guys, guess it wasn't meant to be.[&o]

Shane
Great effort sr77.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its ok, keep your chin up. It happens to a lot of people like everyone else said. I lost my first bow shot deer and I was devastated, so I know how you feel. Just keep a positive atittude and keep on hunting.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the words of encouragement, I will definately get back out soon, just taking a few days off.[&:]

Shane
Old 10-18-2007, 12:20 PM
Typical Buck

You dang sure gave it a heckuva try. Shake it off and bear down on the next one.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:53 PM

Sorry man, but as long as you tried your hardest, its all you could have done.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: barredrock

Sorry man, but as long as you tried your hardest, its all you could have done.

I did everything I could possibly think of doing to find this deer. I know this stuff happens, but it still sucks big time. People at work were all saying don't bother looking, the meat is bad blah,blah, blah. I looked at them and was just like "please, please don't ever take up hunting if you have that little respect for what you are going after." They really didn't understand the principle behind finding this deer. Meat or no meat, if I found him, or happen to find him in season, he is still getting tagged and mounted out of respect. Maybe Hunsucker is right, if he smells bad enough, I could find him that way. Oh well, back into the game I go.

Shane
Old 10-18-2007, 05:31 PM

Not that it would really help now, but here in NY the state authorizes a special service that uses dogs to track deer in cases like you've found yourself. Not sure where you are, or what the laws are, but I would imagine that if you had a dog on a leash and no weapons on you, the dog could probably track it.

Don't beat yourself up too bad over it, it has or will happen to everyone. Fling a few arrows at the 3D target so you know your sights are still on then get back out there.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Patrick, was out shooting today, spot on. Come next week I will be back out. There are still some really nice bucks around.

Shane
Old 10-18-2007, 05:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Relax, he never went to waste. There are plenty of creatures out there to pick up where you let off. They thank you for it.

Now make a better shot next time.