Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 .50 cents a pound for deer >

.50 cents a pound for deer

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

.50 cents a pound for deer

Old 10-15-2007, 03:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default .50 cents a pound for deer

i know a guy that needs some money said he had around 50 pounds of general cuts deer meat from last year and would sell it for .50 cents a pound it was cut at the butcher shop he works for .

would you pay it and i am asomeing that is a good price can't even buy cheap hamburger for that .
Old 10-15-2007, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: .50 cents a pound for deer

i know a guy that needs some money said he had around 50 pounds of general cuts deer meat from last year and would sell it for .50 cents a pound it was cut at the butcher shop he works for . would you pay it and i am asomeing that is a good price can't even buy cheap hamburger for that .
No thanks. [ol][*]First, in WI, I think it's illegal to sell venison (someone more knowledgable, feel free to pipe up.)[*]Second, this is year old meat which may or may not be any good depending on how well it was stored (wrapping, trimming, freezer temps, etc).[*]Third, you don't really know what cuts it is and how much trimming was or is yet to be done.[*]Fourth, you don't know how well the meat was handled (hair, temperatures, gut shot, aging, etc.)[*]Fifth, food banks (around here at least) give venison away for free.[/ol]
If it's just about helping the guy out, give him a few bucks or buy a few groceries for him.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

That would be illegal in PA as well. It's last years and it may have been butcher cut but how has it lasted a year in a freezer? I wouldn't do it.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:39 PM

Illegal in MO as well. But here's a side thought......How come it's illegal to sell deer, but your butcher could make deer jerky, and you would have to buy that? I guess you're buying their time and ingredients?
Old 10-15-2007, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like most stated you can't sell deer meat in most states,and in our state of MO. your suppose to have any deer meat used up by the next season when you hunt again.Goofy rules in my opinion but it keeps others from killing the deer for profit.I had a few friends at work want to buy some deer bologna and jerky from me,I told them I wasn't suppose to sell it but when I got my next deer if they wanted to help pay on the processing of the meat they can have what ever they wanted.There are honest ways around the system you just have to figure them out!
Old 10-15-2007, 06:05 PM
Typical Buck

I've gotten one deer and one turkey.....I figure my meat to cost me somewhere between $125 and $250 per pound.

And no, I wouldn't buy it. In fact, I'd wonder why he was selling it.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:37 PM
Dominant Buck

Heck no. Crab bait.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't buy it...[&:]
Old 10-15-2007, 06:48 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm with you, Beezer....lol.

When I lived in Charlston....we used to catch our own shrimp with a cast net over baited poles in the tidal creeks. I figured out, one year, that for what I spent on boat fuel, bait, food, beer etc...(not including my time)....I could have bought a big old freezer and filled it up with shrimp from the fish house.

I'd just let the guy borrow a few bucks (If I could afford it). Around here.....you can get venison pretty easily from fellow hunters. If you were close.....I'd load you up.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:00 PM
Typical Buck

You got it right GMMAT. Shrimping, just like hunting andfishing,ismore expensive than buying. We hit the shrimp boats coming into Georgetown or Calabash, they'll sell 'em right off the docks. We usually save a few bucks by letting my son pop the heads off. In the end, it's still worth the time in the woods or on the water just to get out and enjoy nature.

Quick Reply: .50 cents a pound for deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.