Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Buying a GPS

Old 10-14-2007, 05:34 PM

Default Buying a GPS

Im going to buy a GPS for hunting and I was reading other peoples post saying they use it in there car. Do they work the same as the GPS that comes with a car and tells you when to take a right or left?
Old 10-14-2007, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Buying a GPS

you would have to buy one that had that feture usally $300 - $400
Old 10-14-2007, 05:40 PM

They do work the same, but the car GPS is far better for driving than a field GPS, in most cases. My brother uses his Rino for both. I have a Garmin c330 for the truck, and a DeLorme PN-20 for the field. The PN-20 can be used for driving also, but the screen is smaller and it doesn't track as fast. I love it for the field, because I can also upload USGS, satellite, and aerial maps. It's not limited to the topo software, which is lacking in detail.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:53 PM

Awesome, thanks for the replies. Im getting it for hunting but I thought it would be a perk to have it in the car just in case.

I like microsoft virtual earth for close up photographs, and I like to use top maps to see the elevation and swamps to pick my spots. It would be awesome if I had images and maps with my treestands marked!!

So what are a few GPS that you would recommend??
Old 10-14-2007, 05:55 PM
Typical Buck

I bought a Lowrance Ifinder h20 and about to send it back....i really like it, but the error stays in the 200-500ft range.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:58 PM

What do you mean the error? Do you mean that when you mark your waypoints you are over 200 ft off?
Old 10-14-2007, 06:07 PM

As I said, I love the DeLorme PN-20. You can add maps (100 bucks worth of free downloads) that are USGS, aerial, and satellite. I mark my tree stand locations right on them, as well as other terrain features and hunter stands. It also takes 1:24000 scale maps, where other GPS units (most) only take 1:100000 scale.

The bushnell is similar, but I didn't care for the button layout and usability. Right now DeLorme is having a special: You get the unit, a ton of chargers (rechargable batteries and regular, car and home chargers), the software (you have to buy it with most other units) and $100 of free map downloads (400 sq km) for $379. I called in my order on a monday, they overnighted it to me for Tuesday.

Check around. You'll ask a million different people, and get a million different answers.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:19 PM

Awesome I like the fact that all of the software comes in a package.

I was also looking at the Garmin Rino 530 HCX but I dont think it comes with any software, but Im not definite
Old 10-14-2007, 06:21 PM
Typical Buck

GPS's have an EPE. Which is the distance you actually are from the location that the GPS says you are at.

So, if your EPE is 500ft. This means that you can be as far as 500ft from where the GPS is saying that you are.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:04 PM

With the Delorme PN-20 can you search for points of interest or type in a name such as "WalMart" or search for restaurants?

Quick Reply: Buying a GPS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.