Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 useing a flashlight to get to the stand early >

useing a flashlight to get to the stand early

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

useing a flashlight to get to the stand early

Old 10-14-2007, 02:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default useing a flashlight to get to the stand early

i had to wait about a hour to had into my stand on my first huntbecause i could see nothing just to dark at 7 here

i bought a flashlight theday before my second hunt but got the late and did not need it i did use it once or twice for a few seconds just to seewhat way i was head

on my third i headed in about 7ish and when i first steped in the woods 2 deer took over running was it because i steped on a log and kinda loss my balance and made some noise or was it the big white light .

should i just wait for little light. or use the flashlight or get another colorlight

i have never spooked a deer going in this area and i wont to be in the stand assoon as possible . Most of the deer i have seen there are within 25 mins to an hour with in first light and me being in my stand
Old 10-14-2007, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: useing a flashlight to get to the stand early

I try not to use the flashlight on the way in unless I have to. Once my eyes get used to the dark I am usually better off not turning the light on as then I can't see for ten minutes..
I don't like headlamps as I just can't seem to break the habit of looking upand around to often. With a handheld I can just keep it pointed at my feet..
Old 10-14-2007, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I removed the head lamp from a hat. Its an LED red light, works great, and doesntstrain your eyes.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JoshKeller

I removed the head lamp from a hat. Its an LED red light, works great, and doesntstrain your eyes.
works great
Old 10-14-2007, 05:03 PM
Dominant Buck

I generally avoid them but always have one in hand or on my head. If I'm hunting public land during the gun season I will display a red led or an amber one I have. I just don't like the idea of some yahoo sitting ina tree and seeing movement go by and decide it's a deer. If you must use a light, I wouldn't use a white light. Go with a green, red or amber LED.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a mag light and try to use it as little as possible. Only when I cant find the exact tree or it is to dark. What is the deal with those other colors? I know I have heard stuff but why is green, red, or amber better?
Old 10-14-2007, 05:20 PM
Typical Buck

I also hunt a lot of public land so there is no way that I am going in the dark w/o some kind of light.

I use a regular LED light and I don't seem to have any problems with pushing deer. I try to get in the stand at LEAST thirty minutes before the sun starts to rise.

From my experiences if a deer sees you, but can not smell you, they will get courious, but most of the time they don't altert and even if they do, they usually come back.

I had this happen a few days ago. Two mature does came in and one of them seen me reach for my bow. One of them ran about 50yds back and started to blow. Trying to wind me ,but never could. Bout ten minutes later, here come the same two does right back to me, but on a different trail.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:21 PM
Typical Buck

I've also sat in the tree stand after dark (didn't get down b/c I had deer under me) and shine the light down on the deer and watch them. I've had them look up and then just go right back to feeding. Maybe they think its the moon.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use one as little as possible. I know the exact route I'm taking to my stands.Sometimes I'll use one pointed only to the ground in certain areas to make sure I don't step on twigsthat will make noise and dime me out.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

The red light is suppose to go un-detected by deer because their eyes won't pickup that color as well as a bright white light.I use my red light in the early mornings when I slip into my stands before the sun comes up....kinda hard to see by it but you just don't move as fast!I believe the green light is also hard for the deer to see but easy for us to see at night...and the green colored light shows up blood better when trailing in the late evening or after dark.

Quick Reply: useing a flashlight to get to the stand early

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.