Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Overhunting small acreage >

Overhunting small acreage

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Overhunting small acreage

Old 10-14-2007, 12:32 PM

Default Overhunting small acreage

I have a quick question for those of you that have small plots of land to hunt. I recently got permission to hunt a small 6 acre plot that backs up to a larger 15+ acre plot. The deer are using the small piece as a staging area. My question is, how do I not overhunt this piece. The woods are very thick and the landowner told me he saw a nice buck coming out of it about two months ago. I hunted it Friday morning and got busted by a hen. I want to go back but I don't want to mess it up before the rut starts. I figure that will probably be the best time to hunt it because it is full of acorns and I know the deer are feeding on them. He gave me permission to hang a lock on stand and I want to do that but I'm nervous to go back in. What do ya'll think?
Old 10-14-2007, 12:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Overhunting small acreage

This actually sounds identical to my land, i try to only hunt that woods week and do as little walking in the woods as possible. Maybee you could set up a stand on the edge somewhere so you will have less chance of spookin deer every time you get in and out of the woods.