Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 tip yall may or may not know >

tip yall may or may not know

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

tip yall may or may not know

Old 10-14-2007, 01:34 AM

Default tip yall may or may not know

here is a tip yall may or may not know. thought i would share it with everyone. i dont have a rangefinder, and i know that when im 15-20 feet up in a tree it can add 3-7 yards to a shot because of the angle. before i climb into my stand, i walk out the paces i know it takes for my 20 yard pin and put a stick in the ground standing up diagonally (so two sticks in a v from my stand). this way i am sure of my closest pin and when something comes in range, there is no mistaking the distance pin i need to use
Old 10-14-2007, 02:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: tip yall may or may not know

Pathagreom Theorem

lets say 15 ft tall (my stand is 15 ft tall)

and your shooting your 15yd pin... (3*15= 45ft)

if the ground is a perfect 90deg. to the tree then you can do this

a^2 + b^2 = c^2

15^2+45^2=c^2

225 + 2025 = 2250

square root of 2250 is 47.43 and to put that into yards .. 15.81 yrds.. so add 1 yard to your pin

Old 10-14-2007, 03:08 AM

i know geometry. a^2 + b^2=c^2, im a college student, i know a lot more about triangles and angles than that.thats why i walk off my steps. i know how high i have to aim depending on how high up in the tree i am. if i put a stick sticking straight up i know a reference yardage to use. thats all. a lot of bowhunters miss or dont make great shots because they dont know the yardage. its just a marker recomendation
Old 10-14-2007, 05:59 AM

your theory would work great if it weren't for a little thing called gravity. if you want to know what yardage to shoot, all you need to do is figure the yardage from the base of the tree. if a deer is 20 yards form the base of the tree, use your 20 yard pin. if said deer is 30 yards out, use your 30 yard pin, and so on. this works.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:18 AM
Fork Horn

my post wasnt meant to insult anyones intelligence nor say that anyone else ways of takin deer from a stand doesnt work... just merely pointing out one method of doing it..

appologies
Old 10-14-2007, 07:47 PM

i like to tieapremeasured 20 ydparchute cord to my stand and walk it out and that is exactly 20 yds from your angle it works great and cost just a few bucks. try it out and let me know what you think
Old 10-14-2007, 07:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sorry gpower1, your out of your mind. If you add 3-7 yards depending the only thing your going to have is a MISS! Why on earth would you add distance because your in a tree?

Worst case scenerio you subtract one yard of your estimation assuming you know the distance from the treestand. I totally don't get where you coming from.

If your in the tree, say 20 feet up, the actual distance to a deer could be 19 yards, the ranged distance is 20 yards where do you come up with adding 3-7 yards to that?

Old 10-14-2007, 07:59 PM
Fork Horn

I agree Rob the higher you go the lower you have to hold, say if your 20' up I'll hold toward the bottom of the chest with my 20 yd pin on a 20 yd shot, just my 2 cents.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

im with Rob.....you wouldnt add yards you would take off yards.....
Old 10-14-2007, 08:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Okay I might have misread that but the thread starter is still incorrect. I think he's saying that being in a tree will appear to add 3-7 yards seemily but actual distance is not...but that's not correct either. At 15-20 feet in a tree, actually distance to perceived or ranged distance is only always less than 2 yards and usually no more than 1 depending on distance PLUS, no one here can shoot the difference in 1 yard.

I understand placing yardage markers to know distance sinc you don't have a rangefinder of even if you do but NEVER think there is 3-7 yard differences.....You'd have to be 60 feet in a tree shooting at a deer 60 feet down a revine and have it close to the tree to see that kind of yardage difference. [8D]

Quick Reply: tip yall may or may not know

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.