Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bittersweet day...nice ending! >

Bittersweet day...nice ending!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bittersweet day...nice ending!

Old 10-12-2007, 08:41 PM

Default Bittersweet day...nice ending!

Where to begin!

Left the house this morning and got settled in my stand at about 06:40. It was about 50 degrees and breezy. Great deer hunting weather...bad news for my feet. They get cold easily. I put out Tink's 69 to see if I could draw in a curious buck and MAINLY to use as a "cover scent". Did a little calling and nothing. Well, about 10:30 I hear a couple clucks. Look to my left and see a group of hens, about 40 yards. I settle my pin on one and let it fly. Went right under her. I was able to do this TWO more times and still shot under them. I was confused and ashamed to call myself a bowhunter. I'm usually great at that distance. Not this morning. No injuries to the turkeys. I'm still wondering what actually happened???

Left to eat and got back to my stand around 3:00 PM. I sat on the ground for 40 minutes contemplating whether or not I wanted to climb the "bad luck" tree or try a stalk. Actually started packing my stuff up to leave but then changed my mind and climbed the tree after all. "I've never hunted this spot in the evening", I said to myself.

Again, I put out the Tinks before climbing and got all settled in at around 4:00 . Made a few grunts and heard some steady walking behind me. DEER, three of them. The wind was of course blowing right in their faces and they knew something was not right. They amazingly come right under my stand and smelled where I had sit, sprayed earth scent, and where I had evidentally touched the tree. They continued on their intended path. Two "momma" does and a yearling. I picked out the fat one but she never offered a shot. Took the next biggest one at 18 yards, it was 4:30 by this time. She took off and the others never knew what happened. They actually went over to see why she had ran down the hill, looked at each other, and continued on their way.

Waited about 45 minutes and went down to get my doe. Sent the arrow through both lungs and she died several seconds after I had launched it.

Always great to get that first one of the season. Concentrating on bucks here on out.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Bittersweet day...nice ending!

Congrats on the table fair
Old 10-12-2007, 08:45 PM

Congrats ducky!! A good day indeed!!
Old 10-12-2007, 08:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well done on the Doe, she looks like a healthy specimen!!!!!!! Congrats!
Old 10-12-2007, 08:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Donnie,

Great story, and great shot! You must have gotten so many chances since you're wearing Predator and shooting a Bowtech!! [8D]

Sounds like a great day! I'm shooting you a PM, too.. I found something I think you'll like!
Old 10-12-2007, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats, good eatin!
Old 10-12-2007, 09:46 PM

Thanks guys! I know its almost midnight but I just got done eating some backstraps. Hit the spot.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:08 PM
Site Bouncer

All right ducsauce!!!

Great story and great deer! Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

Congrats on a fine doe. Great story as well...
Old 10-12-2007, 10:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

way to go duc, nice looking doe.

Quick Reply: Bittersweet day...nice ending!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.