Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Realistic goal...20 fps better with new bow? >

Realistic goal...20 fps better with new bow?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Realistic goal...20 fps better with new bow?

Old 10-11-2007, 09:34 PM

Default Realistic goal...20 fps better with new bow?

So, I am starting to look at the new line up of bows. All things being equal (that is not getting any more vibration or hand shock and keeping a smooth draw cyle) is it realistic for me to get a minimum of 20 more fps with a new rig? My current stats:

Switchback
27.5 draw
67 lbs.
366 gr. arrow
272 fps

For all the anti-speed guys, I know it is not the most important thing. It is very helpful in covering small mistakes made in yardage estimation, however. Which new bows would get me there? I know I am fighting the short draw length. I have a feeling the Airbourne 82 might...anyone know what the draw cycle is like on this one? Which others should I consider? Thanks.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Realistic goal...20 fps better with new bow?

Im shooting the bowtech tribute at 27 and theres more than I need in speed and power.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Tbone1187

Im shooting the bowtech tribute at 27 and theres more than I need in speed and power.
Do you know your specs?

BTW: I've certainly aware that I don't need more speed for KE. I routinely get pass throughs when I do my part. I do like the idea of flatter trajectory that only comes with speed and also being able to stretch pins out and cover more yardage...only makes sense that you'd have less errors in estimation, which of course equals less potentially missed shots.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:53 PM
Fork Horn

I dont know the spec on the bow when its shot at 27 but when its at the factory its comparable with the gardian and you can get the bow for 600 buck I picked up one two weeks ago. My groups are great I got a robin hood just 20 shots after sighting it in. Well worth the money shoot it and see if it would work for you.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are already getting 272 fps, that is very fast at that draw length/weight. Will you get more? Maybe, but for what?

Run some tests and I THINK you will find the difference in speeds you are talking about, especially at hunting distances, the impact points will be basically the same, in other words, I doubt you will pick up any forgiveness for distance estimation. Where you might see the improvement is out past 40 yards, so it really comes down to what distances you are shooting.

If it were me, I'd rather use the "faster" bow to up the arrow weight while maintaining the same speed. Hits em harder to muscle through things. However depending on what you are shooting at, this also might be a non-issue. Just make it harder to pull teh arrow out of the ground after the pass through.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

x-fource might do it for you
Old 10-12-2007, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do not think you will get much better than you are getting with your present setup. If you really want to know whats going on with the newer bows, I would suggest takingyour arrow to a pro shop, have them setup a few of the bows you are interested in to your draw weight and length.Thenshootthrough a chronograph.Just remember this takes quite a bit of time for the pro shop so if you buy make sure you buy from them don't just use them, then buy off the net.

The X-Force will probably get you the speed your looking for. The X-Force is fast but it is fast because it has 60%-70% let off and dual cams so you really can't compare it's performance to single cam bows with 80% let off.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

You could easily get over300 (probably over320)with the new high country bows, but you'd have to use their arrows and keep it light.

Heck, by my best guess, you'd easily top 300 at 27.5", 60# with the speed pro arrows and an 85grain head.

With conventional gear, you'll be hard pressed to scare the 300 mark, being handicapped by such a short draw.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:51 AM

I'd be careful with these claimed speeds of new bows. Remember they are shooting the lightest arrows and heads possible to achieve this. Ones you would not normally be hunting with, or will find in your local sprting good store. I have the new Bear Truth, which is rated at 312+ and I shoot carbon express9.8gpi and 100 grain heads with a 30" draw at 74lbs. and I only reach 275. Speed is nothing without accuracy. Course im sure everyone has heard this, but its true. If your comfortable with your old bow, and it kills deer. Why change?
Old 10-12-2007, 11:11 AM

Thanks for the replies...certainly I understand that speed is not everything. I was just trying to set a realistic goal in purchasing a new bow. Nothing wrong with my current set-up, but it sure would be comforting having another bow dialed in and ready to go. On expensive trips, this is especially handy. Also, I do a lot of hunting in FL....tromping through tight openings with slash pines and saw palmettos. Cutting a string/cable is a possibility any time I'm out (I've done it). SO, if I am going to buy another bow anyway, I was just looking to take a step up in both speed and quietness. It certainly goes without saying that speed is nothing without accuracy (even though everyone likes to telll ya ). Leading candidates for trial are: Bowtech Airbournes, PSE X-Force 7, Diamond Marquise and any new offerings from Mathews.

Quick Reply: Realistic goal...20 fps better with new bow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.