Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Realistic goal...20 fps better with new bow? >

Realistic goal...20 fps better with new bow?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Realistic goal...20 fps better with new bow?

Old 10-12-2007, 12:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Realistic goal...20 fps better with new bow?

ORIGINAL: Red Boar

Switchback
27.5 draw
67 lbs.
366 gr. arrow
272 fps

For all the anti-speed guys, I know it is not the most important thing. It is very helpful in covering small mistakes made in yardage estimation, however. Which new bows would get me there?

The best 3-D shooter I know spends as many hours a week estimating yardages (without his bow)

as he does actually shooting.

He believes his shooting ability is probably as good as it is going to get and is as good as it needs to be.

He also realizes that small mistakes in yardage estimation come directly out of his paycheck.

Hecarries his range finder every where.

When he stops for a traffic light he estimates the distance to a fire plug.

He does this all day, 7 days a week.

Actually it is a PIA hanging out with him.

He does it not CUZ it is fun - He does it CUZ it is his job !

If minor mistakes in range estimation could be eliminated by the magic of a few FPS all the 3-D shooters would be shooting the same bow.

I believe honing your skills is a much better and cheaper way to achieve the success you are trying to achieve than plopping $100 bills on the Pro Shops counter.

I live and hunt in Florida and know for sure that bow noise is the 2nd biggest foe we face (Scent free @ 90 degrees is #1) and a fast bow won't do squat for either of those problems.

I have killed more animals @ under 200 FPS than most folks are ever likely to do @ over 300FPS.

Why would you want your back up bow to be better than your primary ?

My back up is a 12 yr old PSE (Ancient by most standards) and if I have to break it out I know the manure has hit themotorized windmilland my beloved Ross has died.

At that point I can grab the old PSE confident that it has done its job at least 50 times and is more than willing and able to try for #51.

If you want a new bow , go buy it.

If you want a silver bullet - PRAY FOR IT

IMHO
Old 10-12-2007, 12:38 PM
Dominant Buck

If you want a new bow, buy one. I really don't think with your draw length you're going to gain 20 fps unless you change arrows, bow weight etc. There are better bows out there than what you shoot.... but that's a different thread.[8D][8D][8D] LOL
Old 10-12-2007, 12:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think that's a realistic goal, you just need to leave the Mathews line.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Why would you care? Not trying to sound ugly, but if your set up is doing you good, why worry. Now if you are just the tinkering type I can see why. My brother is that way. He is always trying to get more out of his set up. As far has a bow speed or KE, I go with the idea; if I can use it to put an arrow in the boiler room, it works for me. My slow trad bows have kill deer just as dead as my fast compounds.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:44 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

I think that's a realistic goal, you just need to leave the Mathews line.
Got to go with Bowtech ugh?
Old 10-12-2007, 01:15 PM
Typical Buck

Drenlin
27.5 draw
65 pounds
cheetah 400 arrows ( I don't know the weight but they are light )
100 grain tips.
Last I checked it was 291 fps.

Before getting this bow I was shooting a Mathews LX that was pushing no more then 250 at best. The 40+ fps makes a big difference in picking the right pin. from 0 to about 27 of so yards is one pin. If the deer was at 30 and I thought he was at 20 the shot would be lower then I like but he would be just as dead.

-john
Old 10-12-2007, 02:46 PM

ORIGINAL: TX_Hoghunter

Drenlin
27.5 draw
65 pounds
cheetah 400 arrows ( I don't know the weight but they are light )
100 grain tips.
Last I checked it was 291 fps.

Before getting this bow I was shooting a Mathews LX that was pushing no more then 250 at best. The 40+ fps makes a big difference in picking the right pin. from 0 to about 27 of so yards is one pin. If the deer was at 30 and I thought he was at 20 the shot would be lower then I like but he would be just as dead.

-john
How much lower? It couldn't have been that much of a difference if you still killed it.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:54 PM
Typical Buck

I like to double lung them. When I just catch the bottom of the heart it is way to low for me.

-john
Old 10-12-2007, 04:16 PM
Typical Buck

Since you are a Matthews guy(I was too) try this: Dont tell anyone where you are going, find the closest Bowtech dealer thats not your regular guy(if you dont want anyone to know what you're up to), ask to shoot the new general. I guarantee you will utter either "Holy ****", or "What the f#@k". You wont really have to make any decision after that because it will take care of itself. Or you will just be in denial.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:02 PM

ORIGINAL: loogout1

Since you are a Matthews guy(I was too) try this: Dont tell anyone where you are going, find the closest Bowtech dealer thats not your regular guy(if you dont want anyone to know what you're up to), ask to shoot the new general. I guarantee you will utter either "Holy ****", or "What the f#@k". You wont really have to make any decision after that because it will take care of itself. Or you will just be in denial.
Thanks for the recommendations and encouragement, Rob and loogout.

wow, as far as most others go...hope the manufacturers aren't listening...they sure will be worried about all the anti new purchase rhetoric. I never anticipated such a onslaught of "don't buy new equipment"...like it was the spawn of the devil. Hope there are no hypocrites on here who buy new bows this year.[&:] Seriously, my Switchback is a '05 model...,most of you seem to be saying that the industry has made NO progress in the last 3 years???? Speed is only one of my criteria...the newer bows have nothing to offer? Either way, I plan on getting a new bow so that I have one for backup...that just seems like logical thinking to me. Best to all.

Quick Reply: Realistic goal...20 fps better with new bow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.