Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First bow kill!

Old 10-10-2007, 07:50 AM
Typical Buck

Default First bow kill!

Well last saturday, Oct. 6 was opening day in Virginia. A friend and myself headed out on his property, he was filming my hunt. That morning we had 3 does walk directly under our stand that was overlooking a 1/4 acre clover food plot. Well I was given the oppurtunity to shoot a couple times, but one time I was drawing and got busted by one of the does, then the next time i went to draw, my arrow fell off my bow! none of the deer spooked, they just walked out of range then. Needless to say I was a bit down on myself. Well that afternoon found us back in the same stand, early in the heat. Just after 6 the same 3 does entered the food plot on the other side. The largest doe took 45 minutes to get into range, I was afraid they would never get close enough. Well she walked DIRECTLY to my 20 yard mark on the ground, the camera was rolling, I drew, and its seems like a blur now, but I recall releasing and seeing my arrow hit its mark. The doe donkey kicked and took off into the woods, falling down just a few seconds later. She only went 40 yards! My friend then grabbed his bow, I took the camera, and 15 minutes later he laid the smack down on another doe. I got my doe out to my truck and went to help my bud get his and pull it out, well on the way back into the woods either a wild hog or younger bear nearly ran me over, just 10 feet away. When I got back to my deer, the back half was eaten! I was extremely upset. This was a gorgeous doe, and half the meat had been wasted. I still got the shoulders and backstraps, but the hams would have made some great ground beef and jerky. That was my first bow kill, I am in my third season of bowhunting and am officially addicted!

Lets see if I can get some pictures on here...can anyone help me, I have tried resizing it with no luck...

Old 10-10-2007, 07:55 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: First bow kill!

Congrats Jon! Must be a great feeling.

I missed opening day Saturday because I had to work, but will be in the woods tomorrow. Hope I have the same success you did.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:56 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats to you!
Old 10-10-2007, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to hear about the meat, but congrats on the kill. Another one hooked. I can't believe it. Our season (Western NY) starts on Saturday, but I will be out of town for a VFW conference, so I won't get to hunt until Sunday afternoon. What a bummer.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the kill!! I am so anxious to get another one, but the weather has been too warm for me to hang and butcher myself. It finally cooled down, but I can't hunt till tomorrow! But again, congrats on your first bow kill!!
Old 10-10-2007, 08:27 AM

Congrats on you and your buddy both connecting, sorry to hear that you weren't the only one to enjoy the meat. Hope to see pics.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:30 AM
Typical Buck

does anybody know how to post pictures? if so, could I just email you the picture and have you put it up for me?

Thanks!
Old 10-10-2007, 08:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ok ... go ahead and send it to me in care of ( [email protected] ) and I'll resize it and post it up for you.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:20 AM
Typical Buck

Sorry about your deer but its neat that you both connected on the same hunt. You will watch those videos over and over in the off-season.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you had a pretty exciting opener, congrats to you both on you deer.

Quick Reply: First bow kill!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.