Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ethics question - Tagging deer >

Ethics question - Tagging deer

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ethics question - Tagging deer

Old 10-10-2007, 08:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Ethics question - Tagging deer

ORIGINAL: Mizzouhunter

At first, when I read the comment about Missouri requiring a hunter to tag an injured deer, I was skeptical. Honestly, I've never heard of such a thing.But I did a little research and while it seems like the statement COULD be accurate, from what I found, I remain skeptical. The Missouri Wildlife Code requires hunters who "take" a deer to tag it. But, look at the definition of "take." It does include injuring. But it alsoincludes pursuing, molesting and hunting. And "pursuing" would not require a hunter to tag an animalthat survived the pursuit. Maybe it is just sloppy drafting or maybe it is intentionally a broad definition.Or more likely, I am missing something.

Anyway, something like that would be taught in a hunter education class, right? And although it has been awhile since I went through hunter's ed, I don't recall that.

But, from a common sense perspective,a reasonable hunter is not going to tag and claim that hekilled an animal he cannot find. Nor should that be required. Recovery is part of the formula.

From the Wildlife Code:
Hunters who take a deer must tag it immediately with the transportation tag portion
[align=left]of the permit; detaching the transportation[/align][align=left]tag voids the permit. Deer may be possessed[/align][align=left]and transported only by the taker until[/align][align=left]reported through the Telecheck Harvest[/align][align=left]Reporting System. All deer taken must be[/align][align=left]accurately reported through the Telecheck[/align][align=left]Harvest Reporting System by 10:00 p.m. on[/align][align=left]the day taken by the taker or in the taker’s[/align][align=left]immediate presence. The Telecheck confirmation[/align][align=left]number must be recorded immediately[/align][align=left]on the deer hunting permit as indicated on[/align][align=left]the permit, and immediately attached to the[/align][align=left]deer by the taker. The transportation tag and[/align][align=left]deer hunting permit with confirmation number[/align][align=left]must remain attached to the intact or[/align][align=left]field-dressed carcass until the deer is[/align][align=left]processed. All deer must be reported through[/align][align=left]the Telecheck Harvest Reporting System[/align][align=left]prior to processing or being removed from[/align][align=left]the state.[/align]

---
[align=left](54) Take or taking: Includes killing, trapping,[/align][align=left]snaring, netting or capturing in any[/align][align=left]manner, any wildlife, and also refers to pursuing,[/align][align=left]molesting, hunting, wounding; or the[/align][align=left]placing, setting or use of any net, trap,[/align][align=left]device, contrivance or substance in an[/align][align=left]attempt to take; and every act of assistance to[/align][align=left]every other person in taking or attempting to[/align][align=left]take any wildlife.[/align]
Says it all right there. You guys are reading to much into all of this. You have sound ethics, and did everything you could to find the deer. You should be back out hunting instead of posting so much about this....
Old 10-10-2007, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here in Illinois you can buy as many doe tags as you want, and the only thing the law states is that you have to make a reasonable attempt at finding your deer and tresspassing isnt allowed.Personaly Im not going to tear off my tag and throw it in the garbage just because I couldnt find a deer I shot. I think the real ethical question here is, did you look long and hard enough for that deer. Weather or not you use that tag is irrelavent. If you looked as hard as you can and tried as hard as you possibly could to find that deer then your a hell of a guy, I could care less if you mark you tag filled.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

This Ethics stuff is going to drive me to drink

Old 10-10-2007, 08:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Heck no you don't tag something you didn't recover. I'll take it a step further. If when I found it the meat is bad I wouldn't be tagging it either. A tag is a a possession permit. It allows you to have, butcher, mount or whatever if that's your thing. I say if you don't find a critter in time to eat it... it's a found animal, lost or something. It certainly isn't a kill. That is of course assuming your not hunting in an area that states if you draw blood your tag is filled. I don't hunt in any of those. And for those that say if you kill it it should be tagged. Are you willingto waste a tag ona deer you may run into with your car????
Old 10-10-2007, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Davidmil as well - I wouldn't ever, ever "tag" a deer I didn't lay my hands on - its not even an ethical discussion in my mind.

A better (harder) question - what do you do if you find "your" deer 1-2 weeks later? Then what?

FH
Old 10-10-2007, 08:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Farm, if I don't find it in edible condition,... I consider it a screw up and a lost deer. Just lucky to find the critter after the fact if you want some peace of mind or a horn for the shed bin. Pope and Young does it about the same way. Remember a couple years ago they wouldn't include that big deer the guy shot and found 2 days later... or rather a farmer found it. The best they'd give it was a FOUND.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:40 PM

Read this story and tell me, "Who was the one legal tag on this buck". Certainly not the first. They didn't find him. http://mikehanback.blogs.com/bigbuckzone/2007/07/would-you-shoot.html

Old 10-10-2007, 08:44 PM

ORIGINAL: davidmil

Remember a couple years ago they wouldn't include that big deer the guy shot and found 2 days later... or rather a farmer found it. The best they'd give it was a FOUND.
Actually, that was the Wayne Zaft buck. It was included, but not as the new archery world record because of a common base for two tines.....as I recall.[:-]
Old 10-10-2007, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've feel bad about the 5 road kill deer I've gotten but I'm not going to be hunting for the next 5 yrs for nothing in voiding my tag. I've even utilized some of these deer.
Just because you may think you made a killing shot on a deer it may not actually be its death as coyotes, wolves and such have a way weeding out the weak, but its not going waste.

Bobby
Old 10-10-2007, 09:39 PM

ORIGINAL: 121553

I've feel bad about the 5 road kill deer I've gotten...
OK, I know that sometimes deer just run out in front cars, but isn't this a little excessive??? You don't happen to have a large grill gard on your vehicle, do you??? Or maybe there are a lot of suicidal deer in Montana???

I'm just kidding. I know that in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan, there are very few drivers without at least one car vs deer accident to their credit.

Quick Reply: Ethics question - Tagging deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.