Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

deer found dead

Old 10-09-2007, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default deer found dead

if any of u guys have heard about this tick that is killing deer we had 1 found on our farm this morning i saw a young buck that couldn't walk. So icalled the warden n he said some tick that is killing deer all over P.A n OHIO this isn't good anybody else have this happening were they live
Old 10-09-2007, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: deer found dead

You got a link to some more info on this?
Old 10-10-2007, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

no i just heard about it on the news and threw the warden but i'll look around n c wat i find

Old 10-10-2007, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

most likely it was a gnat or a mite and not a kick. EHD I think they call it.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:48 PM

From what Ive read, and heard, its EHD(blue tongue) I think its caused by gnats and flies carrying the virus, and it spreads badly in drought conditions, because of large numbers of deer watering in close quarters. Very litte water, and lots of deer are drinking at the same small water hole, and it can spread quickly. They say that rainy and colder weather should clear it up. I went to scout a new farm yesterday, and the farmer said he has found 5 dead bucks on his place, and all in or near water, he's pretty fearful for his cattle.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's caused by a biting Midge. A harmless little bug, except to cervids that is. They live around stagnant water and get the animals when they come to browse and drink at the waters edge. They are not a tick and frost kills them.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:40 PM

I was at a state park in the SE Ohio this weekend. When were setting up camp a ranger came by and said that we should hunt somewhere else because there are no dear here any more, we thought he was crazy. The next morning when we are comming out of the woods, we run into a group of police offers doing some training, and they asked how we did. We told them that we didn't see anything, and they asked if we had done any scouting, which we also said we didn't, but last year at the same time we saw 50 deer in a weekend so we thought we would come back. One guy then said that he had scouted the area pretty well and haven't seen any deer (we started to believe the ranger.) Another cop chimed in that he thinks the ODNR is covering up how bad the EHD actually is, and that in his mind it wiped out the herd in that area. He also said that he hear rumors that ODNR was thinking about cancelling gun season. I ran into the ranger later that day and asked if the DNR is talking about cancelling gun season and he confirmed that they are talking about it.

All I know is that this year we saw two in the woods and two eating grass on the side of the road, and in the same time period last year we saw 50 deer and had a couple shot opportunities.

Any one else heard anything like this?
Old 10-22-2007, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

Man we need a good freeze to kill the bugs carrying this crap...
Old 10-22-2007, 06:54 PM
Fork Horn

this isn't that bad around me but NO GUN SEASON AAAAAHHHH that would b horriblei wonder Y this is teh only year we are really hearing about this.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:59 PM
Typical Buck

haven't found any dead deer but i have seen 10 deer all together sice the start of archery.

Quick Reply: deer found dead

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.