Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What to do?

Old 10-09-2007, 06:27 PM

Default What to do?

I'm having a little trouble with this right now fellas. What do you guys do if you go up to a deer and it is still alive? It's happened to me before in our hunting camp, and it is just one thing that i really struggle with. Sometimes when i think about it, i have second thoughts on taking an animal. But anyways, what would/do you guys do? Would you finish it off with a second arrow, a knife, and if you were to do this, where would you place the knife/arrow. Thanks in advance guys.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:31 PM

Default RE: What to do?

Well, if the deer is fatally shot and I know for a fact that it will die within a few seconds I will just leave it alone to die peacefully, if not then I would put another arrow in it!
Old 10-09-2007, 06:33 PM

out another arrow in it if it living.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had the situation twice. Once in late muzzle loader, I slit the throat and held the neck up to let it bleed out as fast as possible. Two years ago during the late anterless season, a buddy of mine hit one in the spine which pretty much paralyzed everything behind the front legs, to put the doe out of her misery, I pulled my .45 Springfield Arms and finished it off with a head shot (handguns are allowed in the late season). I don't like it when there isn't adeath shot that finishes the job quickly. But it happens and you have to deal with it. Crappy as it is, it is part of hunting.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

1. If he is fatally wounded and your sure he is not getting up...just let him die in peace..
2. If he is spined or something and looks like he is going to suffer for awhile...Knife to the throat.
3.If you are unable to safely approach him or your afraid he may get up....another arrow.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

Unless its obviously close to expiring I would shoot it. I was too cheap to waste a bullet one time during shotgun season on basket buck that was near death. I went up to slit the throat and he didnt want any part of that. The buckwhich was shot in the spine got up on his front legs and tried defending itself pretty much. I dropped my knife, and grabbed the anltlers and held on for dear life while pushing back into him. After about a 2 or 3 minute battle I was close enough to willow about the size of my arm around and I pushed the buck one way and went behind the willow. Then I ran and got my gun that was about 30 yds away at this point and finished him off. I will never attempt to slit the throat again, I also feel now that it is a bit of a harsh way to die. Id take a bullet over drowning in my own blood any day. Just my .02