Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 first bow kill and special hunt >

first bow kill and special hunt

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

first bow kill and special hunt

Old 10-08-2007, 04:57 PM

Default first bow kill and special hunt

Well this is a hunting story and a family story. I decided to pick up bow hunting this year after being encouraged to do so by my son. He is 22 years old and finally after years of being father and son we are friends now. His mother and I split up when he was 6 and didn’t always want to do whets best for the boys but more concerned about how things benefited her. Since she lived in a small town they always saw me as the big city guy and didn’t like me. I always told myself that if you do the right thing some day your kids will understand that and see thru all the BS. Well it happened a couple of years ago for my son and me. He even told me one day that he now realizes that I was trying to do right by him and his brothers and that the small town mentality was working against me . ( as a side note the courts have now really made a change and don’t assume that the mother is always the best person to raise a child).We now talk on a daily basis and I go down every time I can to visit him and his soon to be wife.
Back to the hunting story. I picked up a Reflex Growler back in May and began practicing every change I could so I would be ready for opening day in Missouri, Sept 15.
I went down opening week and we hunted a couple of days we saw a few deer but nothing close enough. Then last week I ran down after work to hunt in the evening with him. It was starting to get dark and I was giving him trouble about not seeing any deer that night. We had two stands in the tree one on each side so we could talk. I no sooner finished saying that when I saw a doe start up the tree line in our direction. I got up and got ready if a shot presented itself. By the time they got close enough a second doe a snuck in from behind and was sniffing the steps at the base of the tree. We had done a good job of masking our scent but I didn’t think this was going hold up for long before she winded use. Now we were up to five does in the field and one finally moved into an open lane and was quartering away. So i started to draw back but couldn’t draw it all the way back. What I realized after a moment of panic was that I had tightened the harness down to tight and it was pulling down on my shoulder and it wouldn’t let me come to full draw. So I had to take my release off of the string and loosen my thigh strap and reattached the release. She had moved a little over but was still with in range. I drew back and let the arrow fly. The funny this is I didn’t think about the shot I just drew back settled the pin and the next thing I know is the arrow is striking just were I had aimed. I was using a rage 2 blade. When she spun around I could already see a dinner plate size patch of blood on her. She ran about thirty yards and went down. I was excited to say the least I thought my son was going to fall out of the tree he was so excited. We sat down to gather our thoughts for a couple of minutes. We stood up to get out of the tree when we heard more movement. Suddenly a second set of does came out of the woods. My son then took his bow and shot a doe of his own. He told me not to get used to this kind of action because it’s not always like that. Well went retrieved my deer took back to the house and dressed it. It was kind of warm so we took care of it quickly before going back to track his deer as it had run into the woods. That’s why we only have the photo of mine. He forgot to take a picture of his when we got back. At the end of the night I had one of those “everything in the world is right” feelings. His mother called just before I left and he was telling her how much fun we had. She says to him “im sorry that I took that from you”.
I all most felt sorry for her, but I got over that quickly.
Anyway thanks for letting me tell this story and for all the great info on this sight. It helped me get into shooting shape in time for deer season.
P.S. the rage broad head had a huge entry and exit hole. I took out both lungs and clipped the heart. Even my son was impressed with the entry hole and will be changing.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: first bow kill and special hunt

Great, Great story. The hunts with my dad have always been my favorites. Now that I have moved away from home I sure do miss the times we spent together hunting and fishing. Congrats to you and your son. That right there is what this sport is all about.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:08 PM

Great Story, and congratulations
Old 10-08-2007, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great story and congrats on the deer!!

I'm glad everything worked out for you with your son.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:11 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats on the deer and welcome to the very addictive sport of Bow hunting ! You will wish (if you dont already) youstarted sooner ! Better late then never
Old 10-08-2007, 05:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

CONGRATS .....great story !

dd
Old 10-08-2007, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

What a story! That is what it's all about! Congratulation to you and your son. You both deserve a huge pat on the back! Way to go!
Old 10-08-2007, 06:07 PM
Typical Buck

Congratulations and awesome way to spend the evening.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:14 PM

Very touching...Congrads to both of you!
Old 10-08-2007, 06:17 PM
Typical Buck

Great story. Congratulations! Enjoy the time with your new hunting buddy!

Quick Reply: first bow kill and special hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.