Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Piston Points

Old 10-04-2007, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default Piston Points

I was in the pro shop the other day and was talking with the owner who just got back from his elk hunt. He told me about these new broadheads he was using and how he thought they would end up being the best selling broadhead of all time. This guy has a very good pedigree, so naturally I was intrigued. They are called Piston Points (they are in the Cabelas archery catalog), and are a three blade mechanical. As the name implies, they work on a piston concept. When the tip hits the target it pushes in the piston which expands the blades. It looks like a very clever design. The blads are really thick and the blade as a whole is very rugged. He showed me the one he used for target practice. The only thing wrong with it are grooves on each blade where they hit the tip while extracting the arrow from the target. He has talked with the company numerous times providing feedback and the only complaint he had was that the blades were difficult to sharpen because they have a curved edge. He did kill his elk with these heads this year and was incredibly impressed. I'm hoping they come out with a 125 gr model. I might seriously give these things a "look see" for next year.

Has anyone out there had an experience with these heads? If so, what are your thoughts?
Old 10-04-2007, 09:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Piston Points

I'd really have to run these heads through so many tests before I would trust that design. I wonder if they'd open on paper or the thinnest hide areas on whitetails for those, just off shots? Before I checked out the picture on Cabelas' website, The first thought was "Plunckets (sp) Bloodtrailers"...and they were bad news.

I really don't know much about these Piston Points, they do look large. Anyone know if 5 Shot did a test on them?
Old 10-04-2007, 10:20 AM
Fork Horn

I asked the shop owner the same thing about performance on thin-skinned animals. He said they were tested extensively on pronghorn, but he had no first-hand experience with that. The design appears like it would avoid the skipping and bouncing of other mechanicals. Upon deployment they function just like a fixed blade (or so it looked like to me). I would be interested in any tests as well.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:21 AM

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

I'd really have to run these heads through so many tests before I would trust that design. I wonder if they'd open on paper or the thinnest hide areas on whitetails for those, just off shots? Before I checked out the picture on Cabelas' website, The first thought was "Plunckets (sp) Bloodtrailers"...and they were bad news.

I really don't know much about these Piston Points, they do look large. Anyone know if 5 Shot did a test on them?
Those were complete garbage. Ashamed to say I lost a deer to one of those many years ago on a really good hit.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are you guys messing with me? I literally just posted this up this morning for WKP Todd. Might answer a lot of the questions you're asking yourselves......

http://www.huntingnet.com/fieldjournal/fieldjournal_detail.aspx?nID=738
Old 10-04-2007, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh, and I believe they were "Puckett's" Blood Trailers, and yes, they were junk!
Old 10-04-2007, 11:00 AM

ORIGINAL: HNIJustin

Are you guys messing with me? I literally just posted this up this morning for WKP Todd. Might answer a lot of the questions you're asking yourselves......

Cool test man. Good read.

And they were indeed Pucketts.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

My cousin swears by them..I've never tried them..Results??

His group took 5 bears out of 6 hunters all using that broadhead..his was the largest at just over 400# sow

Old 10-04-2007, 11:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

That's one heck of a review and that's why I asked. Interesting....perhaps if I can't find my Snypers I'll consider them. That's what it takes, a good review or realistic one.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:00 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: HNIJustin

Awesome Justin. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Piston Points

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.