HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Piston Points
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2007, 09:17 AM
fillae
Fork Horn

Default Piston Points

I was in the pro shop the other day and was talking with the owner who just got back from his elk hunt. He told me about these new broadheads he was using and how he thought they would end up being the best selling broadhead of all time. This guy has a very good pedigree, so naturally I was intrigued. They are called Piston Points (they are in the Cabelas archery catalog), and are a three blade mechanical. As the name implies, they work on a piston concept. When the tip hits the target it pushes in the piston which expands the blades. It looks like a very clever design. The blads are really thick and the blade as a whole is very rugged. He showed me the one he used for target practice. The only thing wrong with it are grooves on each blade where they hit the tip while extracting the arrow from the target. He has talked with the company numerous times providing feedback and the only complaint he had was that the blades were difficult to sharpen because they have a curved edge. He did kill his elk with these heads this year and was incredibly impressed. I'm hoping they come out with a 125 gr model. I might seriously give these things a "look see" for next year.

Has anyone out there had an experience with these heads? If so, what are your thoughts?