Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Catch-22......Deer Management-wise.... >

Catch-22......Deer Management-wise....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Catch-22......Deer Management-wise....

Old 10-04-2007, 04:27 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Catch-22......Deer Management-wise....

Here's my delimma.....

According to my wildlife Bio.......I need to take 8 does out of the herd, this season....as a start to managing the herd, here. To be able to do this.....I need to be in the woods. To be in the woods.....I am going to pressure the herd, some.

This being only my second serious bowhunting season.....I'm in the "more" prime areas of my available hunting land, more. "I" think the deer are going to adapt to the pressure. I think they're going to utilize these good areas less and less.....the more I intrude. Thus my delimma.

If I don't go in there.....I can't take out what I need to. If I do go in there.....I risk pushing them elsewhere. I'm realizing what a task my pre-set goal is, now. It's a chess game. Every move could decide the final outcome. Every play is important. Carelessness in a hunt could set up my "opponent" for a winning play........many moves down the line.

I think I'm on "defense", now.....and that's not the way to play the "game". Playing it "right" is fun. Playing it the way I have, so far, is taking a chance that my opponent will slip up and give me easy moves......which I'm finding is not the "norm".

My point? Sometimes NOT hunting is the right "move". Sometimes leaving the Bishop where he is ......and sacrificing a pawn is the right move. Sometimes walking away from the board and re-assessing your overall strategy is the right NON-move. Hunting smart takes more discipline than hunting "hard". You can't kill 'em from the couch, but you can't kill 'em if you pushed them out of your area, either.

Fine line......
Old 10-04-2007, 05:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Catch-22......Deer Management-wise....

Hunting smart takes more discipline than hunting "hard".
Hunting smart AND hard takes even more discipline( & persistence).
Old 10-04-2007, 05:12 AM
Bartender

CHECK MATE!
ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Here's my delimma.....

According to my wildlife Bio.......I need to take 8 does out of the herd, this season....as a start to managing the herd, here. To be able to do this.....I need to be in the woods. To be in the woods.....I am going to pressure the herd, some.

This being only my second serious bowhunting season.....I'm in the "more" prime areas of my available hunting land, more. "I" think the deer are going to adapt to the pressure. I think they're going to utilize these good areas less and less.....the more I intrude. Thus my delimma.

If I don't go in there.....I can't take out what I need to. If I do go in there.....I risk pushing them elsewhere. I'm realizing what a task my pre-set goal is, now. It's a chess game. Every move could decide the final outcome. Every play is important. Carelessness in a hunt could set up my "opponent" for a winning play........many moves down the line.

I think I'm on "defense", now.....and that's not the way to play the "game". Playing it "right" is fun. Playing it the way I have, so far, is taking a chance that my opponent will slip up and give me easy moves......which I'm finding is not the "norm".

My point? Sometimes NOT hunting is the right "move". Sometimes leaving the Bishop where he is ......and sacrificing a pawn is the right move. Sometimes walking away from the board and re-assessing your overall strategy is the right NON-move. Hunting smart takes more discipline than hunting "hard". You can't kill 'em from the couch, but you can't kill 'em if you pushed them out of your area, either.

Fine line......
Old 10-04-2007, 05:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sometimes you need more than 1 playing board!
Old 10-04-2007, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

The season is very long, it doesnt need to all be done in a month. Take your time, hunt when the conditions are in your favor and if you dont end up taking out 8 does, its not the end of the world. I know that you guys are allowed to bait there, and i know you and i agree that its easier to shoot a doe that isnt over bait, but in your situation, maybe you might want to bait in a nonprime area to try to get one that way. Just a thought.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

Sometimes you need more than 1 playing board!
Or you need more than one player!
Old 10-04-2007, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff, how much land do you have access to hunt (acres)? Also, how many stands do you have on that land?
Old 10-04-2007, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: njbuck22

The season is very long, it doesnt need to all be done in a month. Take your time, hunt when the conditions are in your favor and if you dont end up taking out 8 does, its not the end of the world. I know that you guys are allowed to bait there, and i know you and i agree that its easier to shoot a doe that isnt over bait, but in your situation, maybe you might want to bait in a nonprime area to try to get one that way. Just a thought.
I agree somewhat, take your time and get what you can get done. I wouldnt be proud of shooting any deer over bait, however it might help you get what you need to get done management wise and its LEGAL.

If thats isnt an option i would concentrate on the big concentration of does and take them there. Hopefully the bucks are using a different area and it wont affect them much. Durring the rut the will be where the does are regardless.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

How late into the year is your seaon open? Sometimes late season is the easiest to take out does as their feeding options are rather limited.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Isn't it cool!

Quick Reply: Catch-22......Deer Management-wise....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.