Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

draw weight ?

Old 10-03-2007, 08:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default draw weight ?

hey guy i have a question,my bow is set at 70 pounds and it is easy for me to draw for about the first 30 shots at the range. After that my arm starts to get a little tired, one guy at the range told me that the is no need to have your bow over 50. do u guy think it would be better for me to drop my weight down a little?
Old 10-03-2007, 08:25 PM

Default RE: draw weight ?

Yes indeed! I guarantee you will see an improvement in accuracy if you loosen up your limb bolts. You will be able to hold the bow steadier and for longer as well.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

You should shoot whatever your comfortable shooting if your hitting where your aiming. I shot at 70 lbs for years but I am shooting now a little less poundage because of an elbow that has been troubling me and shooting at 70 lbs just isn't comfortable for me anymore. I guarantee you if shooting at 70lbs gives you trouble at the range it will be a load for you in a tree stand with a bunch of clothes on. I don't think you should shoot under what your capable of shooting accurately and comfortably though so I can't agree with the guy who told you there is never a need to have your bow over 50 pounds. 50 pounds may be perfect for him but not for a lot of others.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:39 PM

i have heard the same from a lot of people. and i think it is very important to shoot what comforts you. a bow performs best at its peak draw weight, dropping a few pounds wont change much with that. my bow peaks at 73 lbs but i shoot it at 70. i have no problem drawing 70 and with 80% let off holding it is not trouble either. i imagine taking the # down will help with accuracy but remember you will lose both speed and energy. everyone has different oppinions about this but i feel that if i can get the max energy out of my bow i will. maybe you could drop your bow down (resight your bow of course) and after the season turn it back up and maybe by next year you could shoot 70# with no problem. remember too that even shooting 30 arrows at 60#s will still make your arm a little tired. i hope i helped a little! good luck
Old 10-04-2007, 08:05 AM
Fork Horn

been shootin bows 30 years at70#

first time ever gotthis newRoss and decided to try a 60#

I don't know what is wrong with me, I should have done this 10 years ago.

I am getting 260+ with alot less work, why pull the extra weight.

Oh well live and learn
Old 10-04-2007, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

My next one will be a 50-60.. I can pull 70 all day..But the way speeds are going up..60 is the old 70

I want to be able to back it down and shoot less for indoor spot season..and sadly I can only afford 1 top end bow at a time. I'll keep my 70# ally for a back-up..I do love this bow.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sut on the floor and draw your bow, you should be able to do it easily,if not back it down.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:23 AM
Typical Buck

Defenitely only shoot what you are comfortable shooting. Dont listen to the guy that says you should never go above 50. 50# for some bows is a lot worse for other bows as far as speed and energy goes. Just stick with what you can shoot accurately. You said that you are only getting tired after 30 shots or so..... you will only be making one in the stand.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just shoot at whatever pounds your comfortable shooting at!
Old 10-04-2007, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Keep it at 70lbs until a few days before the season or cold weather kicks in. Easy to draw a bow when you are warm and toasty but much tougher when it's cold and your bundled up.
Also keep in mind you won't need 30 shots!! your gonna do it with just one!!

Quick Reply: draw weight ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.