Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 2008 Bowtech General >

2008 Bowtech General

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

2008 Bowtech General

Old 10-05-2007, 04:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 2008 Bowtech General

ORIGINAL: schmalts

Why is the general so slow?? Is the Guardian going to be improved with the string catch thing as well?
Why not center pivot on the other bows?
Notice the "roundness" of the cams and the large brace height Should be super smooth on the draw and that is pretty fast for an 8 inch brace height.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: schmalts

Why is the general so slow?? Is the Guardian going to be improved with the string catch thing as well?
Why not center pivot on the other bows?
Not everyone wants a Speed bow. The General will undoubtedly be the smoothest bow in the line and still have good speed. If you want a speed bow? Take a look at the Airborne models, screaming fast and still pretty smooth

Dan
Old 10-05-2007, 04:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Greg- you're right. By all indications, Bowtech does offer the best factory strings of the big three... I was just giving HCA a shameless plug b/c I like what they're doing. They never get any glory.

Example: My hunting partner just dropped close to $1200 on a Vulcan (with all the toys), and frankly, I'd be embarrassed to send bows out with strings that trashy. Those fuse strings stock on the '07 Hoyts wouldn't make a decent drag rope. I think they're made out of silly putty. It's a week into the season, and the poor guy is afraid to shoot his bow, fearing that the string will stretch out even more. That just shouldn't happen after you dump that kind of bling... Ya know?

Bow companies rarely get a pass from me... I think they justhose the consuming public at every turn in the road. I mean, really... For 1/12 the price of a new automobile, you're getting two chunks of glass laminate, a fistfull of high-tech string, and a wad of machined aluminum...and a non-transferrable warranty that's littered with disclaimers, void clauses and exemptions.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:54 PM
Fork Horn

general is a hunting bow, most people who only bow hunt, will give up speed, for smooth draw.

08 generals, diamonds, allys, connies should have made it to my local shop today.

those cables are under ALOT of tension, no way they are going to pop off the wheels from a little (damn little) bow vibration.

new diamond models have a grip like the 07 ally and guardian (sideplates) (AWESOME) grip
Old 10-05-2007, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd give up a 1/2" of brace on the General for some more FPS.
With a string suppressor such a huge brace is just wasted space IMHO.
Having your "hunting" bow IBO lower than the majority of your closest competition when you are marketed as the "speed brand" just seems like an odd way to go about things to me.

I know the other 2 new models are fast, no arguing that.

But a General with 7 1/2" to 7 3/4" brace at 320+ would sure read a lot better on paper for magazine flipper type shoppers.

If I was shopping the Marque is the closest to my favorable specs.
Sure reads a lot like my Patriot. I wonder if they've got the nock travel w/ solo cam straightened out yet?
Old 10-05-2007, 07:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

The power stroke has been shortened byover an inch (assuming 7 inch BH)resulting in the nock releasing from the string faster.... Allowing a more "forgiving" hunting bow. How is that wasted space?

But a General with 7 1/2" to 7 3/4" brace at 320+ would sure read a lot better on paper for magazine flipper type shoppers.
That is where the Guardian comes in...

[/align]
Old 10-05-2007, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe wasted space was a bit harsh.

There is just a point where you begin to loose speed at the cost of "forgiveness" and that brings up the question of Just how forgiving does a bow need to be?

There is adequate and then there is 8+".

I guess I'm being a little selfish here, but I would think most people shooting short bows are only concerned with 30 yards or so (ground blinds & treestands) , otherwise they'd be shooting 34"ata + for the sake of accuracy at long distances.

This makes me wonder if the Tomcat has sold due to this aspect (large brace) more so than I thought.
I always thought a used Tomcat with some Barnsdale limbs installed at ~$150 would make a great sleeper, lower cost hunting bow.

Did the Tomcat make the line-up for 08?
Old 10-05-2007, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buckeye

The power stroke has been shortened byover an inch (assuming 7 inch BH)resulting in the nock releasing from the string faster.... Allowing a more "forgiving" hunting bow. How is that wasted space?

That is where the Guardian comes in...

[/align]
Didn't know you worked for them buckeye!

Every year I ask. What will they come up with for next year? I guess that answers my question.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Did the Tomcat make the line-up for 08?
Yep.

And I think you're right, Dave - about the Tomkat's appeal because of its high brace height while still retaining respectable speeds. An 8 1/2" brace that still pumps out 315 fps in a compact 31 3/4" axle-to-axle package is pretty darn sweet for a lot of hunters!
Old 10-05-2007, 08:49 PM
Typical Buck

DavC

Whats wrong with the limbs on the TomKats? I have an 07' TomKat and have to argue that (((imo))) its one of the best "overlooked" bows on the market. Its fast, quite smooth, and very accurate. I love the ATA for hunting out of my climbers. I have not one bad thing to say, esp. when you look at the price tag.

Quick Reply: 2008 Bowtech General

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.