Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Thank goodness for the safety vest >

Thank goodness for the safety vest

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thank goodness for the safety vest

Old 10-02-2007, 07:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default Thank goodness for the safety vest

There's usually at least one post about this every year. Sometimes I think some of em are hard to believe, but I never thought I'd be making a post of that nature myself. I've been bowhunting for about 11 years and NEVER wore one until this year. I hunt primarily from a climbing stand and last year I had a close call when my climber seat fell and I came close to biting the bullet, so my whole strategy changed. Well it happened again tonight. The safety harness didn't make it any less scary, but after I got my nerves back I was definitely thankful I was wearing one. I have no clue if I would've actually fell if I hadn't wearing one, but feeling that harness tighten up on me made it a lil more bearable. Don't be another statistic guys. STRAP YOURSELF IN
Old 10-02-2007, 07:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Thank goodness for the safety vest

Glad you are alright,

Losing the seat is one of my worst fears with my climber. It doesn't cost alot of money or take alot of time to make sure you are still around to hunt another day....

Wayne
Old 10-02-2007, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

WOW!!!
Thank goodness you were wearing one.....im alwayd keepin mine on

Old 10-02-2007, 08:56 PM
Typical Buck

I myself am wearing one for the fist time this year and just the greater sense of security is worth the extra cash to me. I hope I never find out how good it works , I'll just take your word for it. Glad you did'nt get hurt.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:17 PM
Fork Horn

Glad you are alright, good advice.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glad you weren't injured, be safe!!
Old 10-02-2007, 09:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Snake, you have a bun in the oven, you have a lot to live for. We are all thankful you are still with us but you've yet to meet someone who is the most thankful. Be safe out there.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:55 PM

I've wore one for the last 5 years or so. I had a friend fall from about 25 feet when his climber broke and he laid there all day until his wife and brother-in-law came looking for him around dark. Now he is paralized from the waist down.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:17 PM
Typical Buck

For years I thought falling from a tree was mostly user error. One of my dads old highschool friends fell about 10 years ago and luckily lived, but broke his back (not enough to paralyze). Even knowing this didn't make me wear one. I guess I thought I was invinsible and last year was a wake up call. I figured for as long as I've been using a stand I know the ins and outs of using a climber, but the fact of the matter is, ya just never know how well you're gripped to that tree.

Rob, you're right, I haven't met that one person yet and knowing that scares me more than ever now. I've never appreciated life more than I do now and on Oct 12 I'll be finding out if there's going to be another lil snake or snakette. It took me a good 5 minutes to even attempt try to stand up afterwards even though I felt the tention of the straps. As I stated before, it didn't make it any less scary than last year when it happened, but I'm definitely more thankful. It's made me do a lot of thinking.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Im not sor worried abotu losing my seat in my climber as much as I am losing my bottom. I make sure they are both tied to gether. I dont normally wear my harness in my climber as Im surrounded by a full bar. I feel pretty secure and dont go to extreme heights with it. 15 feet max and only climb trees that I know and have climbed before numerous times. I think its time to start using the harness. I wear one all the time in my hang ons but not in my ladder stand or climber. I feel very comfortable in them with out one. But things can change in a hurry as you have shown.

Quick Reply: Thank goodness for the safety vest

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.