Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Estimated Yardage Adjustment for 20-30 yds from a Tree Stand vs. Ground >

Estimated Yardage Adjustment for 20-30 yds from a Tree Stand vs. Ground

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Estimated Yardage Adjustment for 20-30 yds from a Tree Stand vs. Ground

Old 10-01-2007, 09:53 AM
N2A

Default Estimated Yardage Adjustment for 20-30 yds from a Tree Stand vs. Ground

I have a good opportunity to shoot 20-25 yards 3-4 days a week. Shot groupes aren't looking too bad. Went to shoot from a tree stand yesterday at a friend of a friends and did horrible (I hit the target, but that's the only positive thing to say). I have a climber and no trees in my yard. Any tips on adjustments from stand vs. the ground.

I could shoot from my house or garage, but its not the same as being in a small stand. Any thoughts?
Old 10-01-2007, 09:58 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Estimated Yardage Adjustment for 20-30 yds from a Tree Stand vs. Ground

Me and my buddy setup our new hanging stand on a telephone pole thats in the yard to practice from. If you cant do that then at least try from the roof.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Estimated Yardage Adjustment for 20-30 yds from a Tree Stand vs. Ground

I don't understand your question. There is no different shooting from the ground as shooting from an elevated stand if you bend at the waist. All else is the same.

If it's the small area you are talking about, lay your stand on the ground, stand on it and shoot. OR place it on your roof as you said you could, stand on the stand laying on the roof and shoot. IF it's the size of the platform that is bothering you, use it to your advantage to practice.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:07 AM
N2A

You may have already answered my questions. If I am shooting at a 30 yd target on the ground and I then use a climber to get 20-30 feet in the air and shoot at a target 30 yds away, do I bury my 30 yd pin dead center of the kill zone under both conditions?
Old 10-01-2007, 10:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: N2A

You may have already answered my questions. If I am shooting at a 30 yd target on the ground and I then use a climber to get 20-30 feet in the air and shoot at a target 30 yds away, do I bury my 30 yd pin dead center of the kill zone under both conditions?
Yes.

as an aside, 30 feet is REAL high to go for archery.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: N2A

Yes, as long as your target is 30 yards away from the base of your stand.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rob nailed it.

The only area where I see people mess up on is yardage estimation...You need to figure out the yardage from the base of your tree to the target, not from your stand to the target.

The easiest way is to range a tree at the distance you want to know, but range it at stand level. They sell rangfinders which will compensate for this, but they're not necessary if you'll just follow my above advice.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:26 AM
N2A

'30 feet is REAL high to go for archery.'

What would be agood range;15-20ft?
Old 10-01-2007, 10:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's a good average.... I'm usually around 20 feet after the leaves fall, sometimes 22 - 23.

Before the leaves fall, you're probably going to be forced to be lower because of visibility issues with the thick foliage. It all is dependent upon each tree, your whole situation, and available cover.

I took my best buck so far (162 1/8") when I was only about 9 feet off the ground, but I was in a tree that had a gnarly mass of tangled vines behind me which offered the perfect backdrop to help break up my outline.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Why many say that 30 feet is high is because of shot angle on the animal itself, not the distance.

The higher you go the more critical the angle into the deer is. Remember to aim for the exit hole.

And as Greg mentioned, the higher you go, the smaller the animal looks and people tend to overestimate the distance and neglect to bend at the waist and shoot high.

If you have a laser range finder and range the animal at 30 yards, worst case scenerio, take one yard off, bury your pin, pick a hair and bring home the venison.

Quick Reply: Estimated Yardage Adjustment for 20-30 yds from a Tree Stand vs. Ground

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.