Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 "New Boot" smell... >

"New Boot" smell...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"New Boot" smell...

Old 09-30-2007, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: "New Boot" smell...

I'll tell you what those particular boots have a strong smell. Thats true about the mud, i bet it would smell different. sounds like you have a plan now, hope it works for ya!
Old 09-30-2007, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I'm buying a new pair of mucks, tomorrow.....and if deer are afrais of the rubber smell.....I'm screwed. I'm hunting in them, Tuesday....if not tomorrow night.
I bought a new pair of Muck boots a little more than a week back and wore them for the first time hunting last Saturday. I think the deer I shot was more concerned with smelling acorns than the scent of my boots
Old 09-30-2007, 08:52 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-01-2007, 05:18 AM

I had the same problem last year. I think the only thing that makes the smell go away is time. I sprayed them with scent killer before I walked into the woods last year, and then left any residule mud ect. on them. At the end of the season I stuck them in a tote with a fresh earth waffer and the smell is gone now finally. I think the human foot stink is more danagerous than new boot stink, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Old 10-01-2007, 05:20 AM
Bartender

Any deer downwind will most likely scent you no matter what, sorry.
We as humans stink and no way around it, some more then others.
ORIGINAL: 3stone

I've had a nice pair of rubber camo hutning boots for a year now and they still have that "new rubber" smell like they just came out of the box. What do you guys do to kill the smell? I've scrubbed them with scen free soap but I am still worried that any deer downwind will be able to scent them.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:28 AM
Fork Horn

Fraley,

I don't completly buy that. I do believe that you can make efforts to remove any scent and that if the conditions are right a buck down wind will not smell you. YOu eed to:

1. make your body scent free
2. Wear head-to-toe carbon clothing to seal in any new scents your body makes
3. Control mouth scent (which is the biggest problem)
4. Get at least 25 to 30 feet up in a tree to help disperse your scent among the leaves
5. wipe down your gear with scent killing sheets prior to entering the woods.

I think if you do these things than there is a good chance of not getting busted downwind. Now don't get me wrong...I do not ignore the wind when picking a stand. I always try to hunt in places where deer can't come in from downwind. But that 's not always possible as wind can change directions.

Maybe it's overkll but I figiure you can never be to scent free. Just like you can never be too still.