Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Use your cell phone to your advantage >

Use your cell phone to your advantage

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Use your cell phone to your advantage

Old 09-30-2007, 06:25 PM

Default Use your cell phone to your advantage

I'm sure there are alot of members here that carry their cell phones in the woods for various reasons. For some it is just another safety measure, some its a timekeeper, some its a game, and some use it for all of the above.

I've found that most "newer" cell phones have a memo recording feature. Lately, I've been using that feature the most, besides talking of course.

Ever been in your treestand picking out shooting lanes and then you get down and forget what trees/limbs you were going to cut? I have. Well, I pull out the celly, push a few buttons, and start my memo. I describe the trees and branches as I would see them from the ground and play it back as much as needed. Helps out a lot.

I also think it would be useful after releasing an arrow on a deer. You could describe the exact landmarks near the deer's location as you shot. I've had this problem before too.

Anywho, thought I would share something that has helped me along this year. Anyone do the same or anything similar? Comments?
Old 09-30-2007, 06:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Use your cell phone to your advantage

no
Old 09-30-2007, 06:34 PM
Typical Buck

I take my video camera out and then record my surroundings and look at the possible shooting lanes later on and see what i need to trim
Old 09-30-2007, 07:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

thats a pretty nifty idea....i like it!

i hate gettin down and looking around and looking LOST...where was that trail i ranged?? what limb needed trimmed?? where was that deer?? hey! what tree was i in?!?!(happens alot when i am in a climber lol.

heck...once i left my climber at the bottom of a tree..i had some walking around to do...i think i was doing a little mid day scouting and also working on a project for ecology class. didnt walk more than 100 or 200yds. took me atleast a half hour to find it EVERYTHING looks the same in that area..that 200yds or so is Oaks, Maples and a few small spots of saplings...its just a big flat top. man i got worried...
Old 09-30-2007, 07:23 PM

ORIGINAL: mauser06

thats a pretty nifty idea....i like it!

i hate gettin down and looking around and looking LOST...where was that trail i ranged?? what limb needed trimmed?? where was that deer?? hey! what tree was i in?!?!(happens alot when i am in a climber lol.

heck...once i left my climber at the bottom of a tree..i had some walking around to do...i think i was doing a little mid day scouting and also working on a project for ecology class. didnt walk more than 100 or 200yds. took me atleast a half hour to find it EVERYTHING looks the same in that area..that 200yds or so is Oaks, Maples and a few small spots of saplings...its just a big flat top. man i got worried...
Haha, sounds like you may need a GPS too.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

You should record a good grunt call on it then put it on speaker phone or hands free so its loud then you can just press a button and you have a call ready!

pretty nifty idea you got there
Old 09-30-2007, 07:44 PM

You should record a good grunt call on it then put it on speaker phone or hands free so its loud then you can just press a button and you have a call ready!
Well, I don't think I'll take it that far. It is a nice tool for me when cutting shooting lanes though. Also, I like to hear myself talk sometimes. Can you tell?
Old 09-30-2007, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

HAHAHAH.........LOL
Old 09-30-2007, 07:54 PM

I was thinking about going to www.watchthedeer.com's PDA site on my phone to see if deer are moving in other areas. It seems like that may help my confidence level and keep me out there longer
Old 09-30-2007, 07:54 PM
Dominant Buck

If it weren't for the safety reason....I wouldn't EVER take a cell phone. To be honest....I only take one about 20% of the time, now. It's not something I even think about.

Other than calling home and telling Lisa I'm gonna sit it out (wait....if I shot one)....and let her know I'm going to be home, late......I don't think I've ever used mine.

I hunt to get away from it.....and if it goes with me....it's OFF.

Quick Reply: Use your cell phone to your advantage

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.