Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Finally broke the ICE this season >

Finally broke the ICE this season

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Finally broke the ICE this season

Old 09-29-2007, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default Finally broke the ICE this season

Slipped in about 5pm, around 6pm I had two fawns eating acorns in front of me until 6:45. I don't know about you but my hunt could have ended right there and I'd been satisfied. I just love being in the woods and seeing deer in their natural setting. Anyways, the fawns wondered off over the next ridge. I watched until they went out of sight and turned around to watch the 200 million squirrels that were around me. I decided to make sure those fawns were gone for good when i spotted a mature doe coming over the ridge that the fawns just crossed. A mature doe or buck was on my to take list today, so I stood up and readied(sp?) myself for the opportunity. I watched the deer scent check for the 100th time and ranged her at 24.5 yards. When she wondered behind some brush I drew my bow and watched as she stepped forward. When she was in plain view I whistled and she stopped perfectly broadside. I let the arrow fly, perfect shot complete pass thru. I know this would be much better with pictures, but we aren't picture happy unless it's a decent buck. This year I decided to try the RAGE,2 blade, and I will tell you folks that I have never seen a entrance nor a exit quiet like this one. The entrance was huge and the exit was bigger. They flew perfect and made a perfect double lung shot that put this deer down with in 40 yards. A couple things, my dad and I said we would only shoot mature does and bucks that would go on the wall. Well I get down and follow the blood creek to the deer to find out it's a spike buck with maybe 2 inch spikes. I honestly shot this deer as a mature doe, so i kinda feel bad that it ended up being a spike. Oh well, we had tenderloin for dinner at 9pm tonight. Sorry for the long post, just had to tell someone about GOD's blessings on me today.

Brandon
Old 09-29-2007, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Finally broke the ICE this season

Congrats NC as long as your happy with it thats all that matters. If i kill a doe im goin to squeal like a girl with a new baby doll.lol , what part of carolina r u from i thinkyousaidit once but i dont remember...
Old 09-29-2007, 08:54 PM
Fork Horn

yeah any kill with a bow is an achievement. This deer was no button buck, it weighed over a 100lbs and it made the fawns that just left look like rabbits LOL. I'm from Yadkin county, Jonesville to be exact. There are some nice deer popping up around here. Our local tatto artist/taxidermist just killed a 146 and some change, local.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:59 PM
Typical Buck

congrats on your deer
Old 09-29-2007, 10:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats man.......too bad you dint get pics!
Old 09-29-2007, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

Congrats...
Old 09-29-2007, 11:19 PM

Congrats on your deer. I'm surprisedyou couldn't see the antlers from 25yds.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buck_master_101
If i kill a doe im goin to squeal like a girl with a new baby doll.lol
rotflmao!!

Congrats NC!!! Our opener is tomorrow. I hope to get one on the ground.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:24 AM
Fork Horn

BNB- I was surprised myself. The only thing i can figure out is the fact the he kept scent checking and facing away most of the time. I've actually had the same situation happen to me on another piece of property we have and I picked up that he was a spike right away. Another thing, i'm hunting on the side of a mountain and this deer came in above me and he didn't offer the best aerial(sp?) view. OH well, from this i learned a valuable lesson.

Thanks to everyone for the congrats, I'm tickled to death. This is the first deer with my new Diamond.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Way to go a big congrats

Quick Reply: Finally broke the ICE this season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.